Training drills

More
16 years 2 months ago #1624 by Janita K
Training drills was created by Janita K
OK...here's my first question to this forum...can anyone recommend some back to basics drills for perfecting sound technique? All sports have drills, so what about ski paddling?

I have been paddling my Hayden ski for about 6 years after coming from an outrigging background.
Unfortunately, my technique still suffers from lack of fundamental stroke correction in the early stages.
I have been told by some damn good paddlers that I pull the stroke back too far (which I can feel and it sounds horrible...that wooshing sound behind you) and I know that my stroke rate is way lower than other paddlers because I can feel myself 'muscling through' the stroke (which is the outrigging way of approaching things).
Gradually, I am fixing the late exit by repeating to myself the mantra "let it go, let it go"...the water that is. I spent 90 minutes recently with Rod Taylor at Mooloolaba in a one-on-one coaching session which was absolutely fantastic. He did teach me one drill, but I am wondering if there are other drills that I can use to 'de-construct' the stroke and take it back to the elementals.

Another question is....when you DO get the technique right (even fleetingly) isnt it true that it feels unmistakedly RIGHT....what I mean is, I feel fairly confident that I know when my technique is hitting the spot and I've hit the right groove, coz straight away it feels so damn good? That smooooothness and stability and ease? So without an expert over my shoulder saying "You've got it girl!", that it is safe to rely on the feel coz when good technique kicks in....you can almost hear the hummmmm? The goal now is to extend that feeling from 5 seconds to at least 5 minutes then maybe 50 minutes!! :)

I train on flat water usually (there's no surf in Hervey Bay) so I have water that would be suitable to hold World Sprints...kms and kms of it!

Thanks in advance and thank you to the forum and website
Janita K
Hervey Bay
QLD
Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics