PUMPING IRON!!!!

More
16 years 3 months ago #1526 by altanticcoastkayakracing
Greetings!

This is my first year of off-season training- till now I'd maintain my typical winter schedule of running, basketball and winter sports(XC skiing snowshoe)

I'd like to incorporate some paddling specific weight training ,plyometric and standard calisthenics to enhance my fitness level.

I only have access to the following: dumbells/barbell. Pull-up bar. Weight bench.

Thanks,

ackr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1527 by YBA/Jim Murray
Replied by YBA/Jim Murray on topic Re: PUMPING IRON!!!!
You have more than you need. XC skiing is really great, esp. on groomed trails. A lot of upper body muscles used are similar to paddling. You can usually get in a few races or loppets too [it sure worked for knut Holman]. Snowshoes can be a killer if you don't have the legs, but are a great aeobic workout.
Strength training should be specific as possible. Chin-ups, shoulder dips, push-ups, abdominal work [most important]. With free weights you can do upright and bent-over rowing. In general, a lot of weight isn't needed because strength training is supplemental. A 300 pound bench press won't move the boat very fast, from what I've seen.
Plyometric movement is great for explosive power for legs. They can cause injury if improperly/over done. Shoulders are complex joints that take a long time to recover from injury.
Regular stretching overall is very important. It will improve full range of movement and balance.

More
16 years 3 months ago #1528 by Steve Hansen
Replied by Steve Hansen on topic Re: PUMPING IRON!!!!
I second what Jim has to say about xc skiing. It's the secret of many scandinavian champions.Great for cardo, upper body and core.Especially skate technique which is fun and fast but you need groomed trails in general. It's easy on the joints,too. It's the perfect sport as far as i am concerned.It brings me into the paddling season in top shape.

Latest Forum Topics