Re: Typical Training Routine

More
17 years 1 month ago #145 by adw
I tend to do lots of base on the waterand bike. When doing weights i do very high intesity circuts of multijoint exercises IE, Pull up pushup dip deadlift squat clean jerk snatch sit ups and somtimes kettlebells check out

www.crossfit.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #146 by [email protected]

I was wondering what type of training routine other ski paddlers use.

I'd say your routine is pretty intensive - which is good. There are a couple of articles by Oscar Chalupsky and Mark Lewin on the site that cover what elite paddlers and "normal" paddlers can do!

I found (at age 43) that if I do too much sprint training, I tend to lose ground. This season I tried to keep the really intense stuff to 2 sessions a week. So if I had a race, I'd only do one intense sprint session and keep the rest to base fitness ie "quality" - focusing on stroke and distance.

But all the guys say that:

a) Paddling is the most important. Cross training is good, but if time is short, spend it on the water.
b) A combination of some sprint training, some long slow is good.
c) Gym is important - and if you can't get to gym, the basics of pull ups, push ups and stomach crunches cover the basics.

I've found that downwind runs are awesome training - they're like sprint training, but much more fun. And if you've got a group of competitive like-minded guys with you, so much the better.

my 2c worth!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #147 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Typical Training Routine
I find that training on the ICF K1 and going back to the surf ski can be quite confusing with leg drive. With Surf skis, pressure is on the heel while with the k1, its at the upper foot. So when Im back on the surf ski, I tend to push the pedal with my toes thus causing unnecessary rudder movement and turns.

Have you guys tried cross training with a skip rope? I've read that the entire US national team have a program for this. Its pretty intense especially if you get to be advanced. I started with just a 100. Now Im doing 2000 cycles in less than 15 minutes. Its a pretty good cardio workout and also trains you to balance and find your 'core'.

Its best to train on the water as much as possible. Nothing beats actual paddling : )

More
16 years 8 months ago #148 by sauce71
Check this out for a bit of training and technique

More
16 years 8 months ago #149 by richardh
I've just completed the Avon Descent as a (very!) average paddler and this is the training I completed, about 4 months before the start, as part of group that trained together

Tuesday evening 2+ hour paddle from A -> B -> A.
The paddle from A to B consisted of:
short sprints; and
single side paddling; and
paddling (slowly) in a line with a gap between each ski and the last ski
weaved its way to front as fast as possible; and
the occasional backwards paddle sprint.

The paddle back to A was generally a cruise.

Friday morning 1 hour paddle around an Island with short sprints

Saturday morning as part of a Canoe shop training program, consisting of:
a 4 km race; and
sprint relays across the river; and
group sprints around obstacles to get used to the close proximity paddling; and
other techniques like the ones above.

Sunday (not every Sunday) a longer paddle through river!

More
16 years 8 months ago #150 by kipkayak
Training for a 100mile non-stop river race that I'll be doing in my ski. This week is a "Level Three" of a four-week build.

Sunday:
---Off

Monday:
---30min moderate run
---60 min paddle
--10min warm-up
--interval pyramid 1min-2min-3min-4min-3min-2min-1min with rest equal to the previous interval for the remainder

Tuesday:
--50min indoor cycle class
--Strength Training

Wednesday:
---3hour paddle--2min HR 140/2min HR150 alternating for entire paddle
---80min indoor cycle class
---60 min paddle
--10min warm-up
--30sec on/30sec off concentrating on power and connection

Thursday:
--30min run
--60min paddle
--10min warm-up
--2min on/1min off for the remainder
--Strength Training

Friday:
--3hour paddle steady pace

Saturday/Sunday:
Family Holiday hope to get in something...but no paddling

Following week is harder. Week after is the taper.

I get tired just thinking about it ;)

More
15 years 9 months ago #151 by Jeany
Replied by Jeany on topic Re: Typical Training Routine
As Rob said, your training looks very intense. I think you need at least 1 or better even 2 days off a week to be in your best form. Otherwise you may just be heading for injury or burn out. Good luck with your training ;)

Latest Forum Topics