Re: Training on my Futura Blade

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #1009 by nell
Re: Training on my Futura Blade was created by nell
To try to answer your questions: Yes, the Futura 2 is considerably wider, more stable and slower than the Blades. The F2 is a fine boat for some people, but it might not be what you're looking for?

My guess is that you've got a newer blade with the understern rudder and upturned bow. It's a fine ski, better on rougher water. It tends to bog down at speeds over about 7.4 mph or so, but many paddlers don't care to paddle that fast on flatwater.

I completely agree with the above comments in that most likely, you'll get more enjoyment from paddling a ski where you don't really have to think about balance all the time. It might only take a slightly more stable ski to make you perfectly comfortable. Going over to a used Futura 2 because it's a good price might put you in a situation of having a Blade that you fall out of, and an F2 that you don't like because it's too much like a barge (relative to the racier boats).

I don't know where you are located. If we knew city, state, there might be someone nearby that could let you try anothere model. Or, look into a quick cheap trip to LA to demo what Oceanpaddlesports.com has. Boats like the Evo and XT might be just what you're looking for. (A little googling suggests that you are in the NW and you must be thinking of the R2R race. If so, that understern rudder is a liability in any ski on that river. Making a smaller understern rudder will make the ski less stable. So, your choice might be to add an overstern rudder to that ski and get used to it, or get the F2 specifically for that race, or get a new Huki S1X with an overstern rudder as standard. The boys in Bellingham have lots of those for you to demo.)

Class 2 water - Bombing down a river with class 1 and 2 rapids is loads of fun in a ski and nearly any ski is capable of doing that, including the Blade. The coastal water and open ocean can get much much bigger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1010 by yhomas
Futura sells the Huki S1-X. According to their website, the S1-X is more stable than the Blade. I did a 100 mile flatwater race (Colorado River 100) in a borrowed Huki S1-X with well over an inch of additional seat padding and still found the boat stable enough to comfortably paddle it with a single blade (as a brief break from the double blade).

At least from the perspective of briefly paddling the different boats, the Huki S1-X feels slightly more stable than the Epic V10, which feels slightly more stable than the Mako 6. I now own a Mako 6 and I have found that it has a lot more stability (particularly in waves) than you might think at first, but if you want the most stable of the top skis, you should seriously consider the S1-X.

The downside of the S1-X, V10, and Mako6 is that none of these boats offer an overstern rudder [edit: apparently, Huki is now offering a kickup rudder option]. For running a river, an understern rudder can be very important. Obviously, you can do a DIY project, but if you want a fast/stable boat with an overstern rudder, you might want to check out the Thunderbolt-X or the Mohican.

---

It is true that older generation K1s are pretty good for your purposes, and can be very cheap--but I have found that these newer unlimited boats are faster, more stable, and more comfortable.

• Seaugi
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #1011 by Seaugi
Replied by Seaugi on topic Re: Training on my Futura Blade
Check out the Huki website. I believe they have the kick up rudder option for all their boats. It may be your best bet for a class 2 race. The S1-x with a kick up rudder may be what you are looking for.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1012 by TheSwamp
Jeremy,

Let us know where you live, and maybe what race you are goaling towards. Most any of us are willing to let you try almost any of our boats, and get a feel for what works for you. W/regard to the Huki S-1X, I have a 'Special', and Jude supplied it with the kickup rudder option, *and* at least as important - an extra layer of kevlar in the belly - the 'rockhopper' option. I have not put it to the test, but given that I paddle mostly inland waters, it seemed like the right thing to do!

Marsh

More
16 years 5 months ago #1013 by MarsLasar
I live in the Seattle area. My goal is to race in a multileg race which goes: Cross country ski for 3 miles, Downhill ski, Run 4.5 miles, Bike 19.5 miles, and finish with a 5 mile river leg which is all down river.

So it sounds like there is a group of surfskiers in Bellingham?

I also found a Valhalla Victory for sale. Does anyone know anything about this ski? I've googled it and am not finding much info.

• nell
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #1014 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: Training on my Futura Blade
The Victory comes with a kickup rudder and is a good river and flatter water ski if it fits you and if the price is good. It's midway between the Blade and the F2, but closer to the Blade. It comes down to how much you want to spend and if you're a paddler or just want a ski for the one race each year, too. You should be able to pick up a used Victory for under $1000. Make sure it's not the Vic Special which is a good ski, too, but tippier - more so than the blade.

Lots of ski paddlers in B'ham. Get ahold of them on whatcompaddlers yahoo group. They're out in groups all winter long. Post a note on their list and go up on a weekend.

More
16 years 5 months ago #1015 by Trilobite
Jeremy,

I have a Huki S1-R that I can't say enough good things about. Rudders swap over in about thirty seconds, and I also have the lightweight, all carbon, overstern kick up foil rudder that drops right in with a clevis pin. It's produced by Pat of Onnopaddles in HI-it's a work of art-all the S1-Rs come ready for this option. Piggyback cables attach from the steering yoke in about a minute flat. I give away something to the S1-X, V10s, etc. on the flats but in conditions I'm not swimming and putting the power down all the time. Huge difference and huge grin on my face besides. If you're bracing all the time, or worse yet, swimming, that tends to just frustrate. Had a tippier ski for a while that I just wasn't ready for-couldn't sit it the way I wanted to, so sold it to someone who could. Win-win, I think.

Mark

"Nice? It's the only thing," said the Water Rat, solemnly, as he leaned forward for his stroke. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
'The Wind in the Willows'~Kenneth Grahame

Latest Forum Topics