Re: Surfski weight

More
16 years 7 months ago #633 by Philps
Re: Surfski weight was created by Philps
If you speak to Keith Fenn he is reluctant to make light glass skis for the Durban guys due to the surf factor : i.e. stronger ski equals more glass&resin = heavier.

Alos there ia a school of thought thats its better to have a heavier ski in big downwinds (more stable and more momentum on the runs) - light carbon skis get blown around (especillay if you are a lightweight yourself) and if you do happen to swim bye bye ski - just ask Dave Gillmer and Belinda Carbutt what happened to their carbon makos at the World Cup in Durban. Dave's ski was never seen again and Belinda found hers at Mtunzini approx about 150 km's north of Durban !!!

So heavier skis are not always a disadvantage !!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #634 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Re: Surfski weight
G'Day,

Weight of a Surfski, I have found for all about ski use 28 u.s.lbs works great for myself as far as Glass vir Carbon for the money I have a S.African spec ski all carbon weight 32 lbs stiff and a nice all weather ski and if needed to cross the Atlantic it would be my pick.

HUKI makes a Carbon Glass ski that is super stiff and can be light depending on $ spent, I have one comeing at 27/28 lbs, It is true haveing a 22 lb ski it will Accelerate faster and for some a bit easer than a heaver ski to pick up on the run, I have used a 24 lb ski and I can not see the diff in the 28 lb Ski I also do not race any longer, if speaking going from 22 to 32 there is a diff.

I do know carrying a 28 lb ski beats hell out of carrying 39 lbs and if on a light ski 22 /24 lbs and not a good strong paddler to keep up the speed you will fly around a bit with 20 to 30 Kts of breeze on a run and going to weather will be hell.

If your not a raceing fool at the top end were you paddle a bit of weight is a nice thing at sea,and over the years if your not at the top after 3 years on a ski your prob stuck were you will be and trying to hard for most on any ski is a down hill slide and weight will no longer help.

Some people do not do much up wind work as we do and I do know the drive on a heaver ski works nicer for me in weather wind and chop on the Gulf I am also not a strong paddler.

Cheers Joseph

Joseph

More
16 years 7 months ago #635 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Surfski weight
The glass Evo comes out at 15 kgs, give or take a 100gms.

We vac-bag them to get the weight down as much as possible, but still make them strong enough to take abuse. Also means the ski is really rigid, so you shouldn't see any flex.

18kgs seems rather heavy for a non-spec ski I would have thought.

• Rich
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #636 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re: Surfski weight
G'day,

I got a new glass Mako6 last week and when I weighed it today was shocked to discover that it is 20kgs! I would be very interested to hear from those of you who also have glass Mako6's with what they weigh - I am not sure if I should address this with the Aussie supplier - or just get over it....?!

Cheers.

More
16 years 3 months ago #637 by [email protected]

was shocked to discover that it is 20kgs! I would be very interested to hear from those of you who also have glass Mako6's with what they weigh

Mine weighed around 19.5kg.

My carbon Mako6 weighed 11.4 before I broke it; now weighs about 12kg post-repair.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 3 months ago #638 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: Surfski weight
My Old 94 Burton Ultimate Wedge (spec ski, SLSA) weighs exactly 22 kilos. I suppose its also important to compute for your overall weight (ski and you). Does ski weight matter as much as your body weight?

• Rich
  • Visitor
16 years 3 months ago #639 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re: Surfski weight
Thanks for the responses guys - great to get a bit of perspective!

....still keen to hear from others if you have the time.

Cheers

More
16 years 3 months ago #640 by Pistol
Replied by Pistol on topic Re: Surfski weight
My XLR8 fibreglass with a layer of carbon around the seat and soric honeyomb in the hull with a storage hatch weighs 15kgs. All for $2,750 Aus.

Latest Forum Topics