Paddle blade angle?

More
13 years 3 months ago #5999 by firecon
Paddle blade angle? was created by firecon
I have an old "canoe concepts" carbon paddle. One of the blades recently came loose and I pulled it off. Now I want to re-glue it-but I don't really have any idea what kind of angle I should have. What angle do most people use? Also, what kind of glue would you use?

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #6000 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re:Paddle blade angle?
Both blades in the same plane = neutral. hold the paddle in both hands knuckles up and aligned with topedge of blade. if you have a split shaft leave the coller loose. for right control hand(most comman) from the forementioned neutral you can rotate the left shaft moving hand in flexion(towards ground) "normal range of this rotation for a wing paddle is anywhere from 45 to 65 degrees and is a matter of both personal preference and great debate(undoubtedly to follow). Don't know which blade you have off so you will have to use this as a start. As to adhesives , DON'T use epoxy (whatever you do will be permanent) instead I have had (as I am sure have others) great success with a thin bead of hot melt glue squiggle round while inserting blade to shaft(if its an "Inny) or shaft to blade (an "outy"). Good Luck with that !

More
13 years 3 months ago #6001 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Paddle blade angle?
If you look carefully is there any sign in the old glue as to how the blade fitted and the previous angle ? Is the other side likely to come loose /come off ? Can you tell what sort of glue/resin was used originally ?

More
13 years 3 months ago #6002 by firecon
Replied by firecon on topic Re: Paddle blade angle?
No real indication of angle or previous resin...I will probably try hot glue and 65 degrees. The blades seem a little bigger than epic mid wings, might have more twist. The shaft goes into the blade. Is 65 considered the max? Sometimes I run 70 or more on my adjustable.

More
13 years 2 months ago #6003 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Paddle blade angle?
Feather angle has a direct relationship with bio-mechanics and technique of the individual paddler. As I mentioned before there is endless debate about this. If you have access to an adj. feather paddle , spend some time experimenting with different settings , be concious of your technique while doing so (as opposed to mindlessly hammering away). you may find 65 degrees works for you or maybe 50 or perhaps 45.... I started with a wing paddle at 65 because that was what I was told was correct , I messed around with later (after a bout of wrist and elbow tendonitis) and settled on another angle that worked for me. (I won't tell you what it is ! , encouraging you to find out for your self). A knowledgable coach would be helpful in observing what is best for you and If someone tells you that only a certain angle is the right one.....well HOGWASH ! , thats why most paddles are adjustable !

More
13 years 2 months ago #6012 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Paddle blade angle?
Just to add another variable into the mix.
It was quite windy today and I was having trouble with the wind grabbing my paddle from me when it was in the air on my right hand side.
Paddling lower helped a little, but it was still a problem.

I watched carefully for a little while to see exactly what was happening.
I soon figured out that less feather would not allow my paddle to get to the angle of attack that was causing problems.
So I dropped it back from my normal 65 to 45 degrees, problem solved.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics