Paddles and Traveling (airlines vs UPS)

More
13 years 11 months ago #4896 by spidennis
What is the preferred method of getting your favorite paddle out to a far off location? I'm headed to the Adirondack Canoe Classic and have a boat there but not a paddle. My debate is whether to pack it up for either the airline trip or ship it via UPS ahead of time. What I have is a Brasca4 two piece. I've considered getting a different center shaft to make it a three piece but would rather not have more junctions that could wear out, though it would make each section much shorter and easier to transport on the airlines.

UPS or Airlines?
Either way it's gonna cost me, as an extra baggage for the plane or ups shipping costs ....

I do happen to have a gun case that fits the paddle ..... but it sure seems like overkill, and nothing else could be shipped with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4897 by AndrewN
If at all possible take it with you on the plane as hand luggage if the airline will allow. I have had paddles lost by an airline (and my bag as well) and every single time the SA Sprint team goes over to Europe / Canada etc, someone's paddles get lost in transit.

If you have to check them in, rather UPS as they will not lose your paddles and the airlines / airports are very good at doing just that.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by AndrewN.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4898 by spidennis
UPS is very good at not losing their packages vs the Airlines being at the far other end of the spectrum. With that point alone I guess it's time to pack for UPS! The airlines just can't be trusted ....... even if everything was insured it's not worth taking the chance on it being lost/stolen.

now, to use my gun case or cardboard box? I got both ready ......

More
13 years 11 months ago #4899 by YBA/Jim Murray
Turbo paddles in Canada have a four piece option that fit into a suitcase or club bag. They slide together and use tape to hold the lot together. It works well and solves the transport problem.

www.cyberus.ca/~turbo/TURBO/Home.html

More
13 years 11 months ago #4900 by spidennis
YBA/Jim Murray wrote:

Turbo paddles in Canada have a four piece option that fit into a suitcase or club bag. They slide together and use tape to hold the lot together. It works well and solves the transport problem.

www.cyberus.ca/~turbo/TURBO/Home.html

Not that I need a new paddle right now but it's nice to know when that happens but:

WEBSITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION - BUT BUSINESS IS AS USUAL
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR DETAILS, PRICES AND ORDERS
BOOKMARK THIS SITE -- COME BACK AND VISIT US SOON

More
13 years 11 months ago #4903 by nell
UPS it there so you'll know that it will be there and ready to go. Try to fly back with it, either on the plane or as luggage if they won't allow it on board. The Bracsas are built tough enough to handle airline baggage abuse.

Latest Forum Topics