TRIPPER PFD, any alternatives?

More
17 years 1 week ago #329 by MFB
Hi All,

I read in one of the articles here that the Tripper PFD is suitable for paddling. Its supposed to have a built in compartment too for a drink. However, I cant seem to find any information about it online. Please point me to the right direction, I need to buy a pfd.

What else are you guys using other than the Tripper?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #330 by [email protected]
I used one for a couple of years - there's a photo of it on the Tripper Sports website:

www.trippersports.com/

(The website has been undergoing the "major upgrade" for years now!)

Perhaps time for a review on the site of a couple of choices. The Tripper has been around for many years, is tried & tested & used by many river paddlers. A juice bag can be slotted into the pocket on the back of the PFD, with a rubber pipe that is routed (held in place with velcro tabs) over your shoulder to the front of the PFD where it can be grabbed & shoved in your mouth.

The PFD has a smallish pocket on the right front, big enough for a set of flares. On mine the material wore out after about 18 months.

An alternate PFD is the "Mocke" designed by Dawid Mocke. I use one - chose it primarily for two reasons. The first is that it has a much larger pocket on the chest that holds all the gadgets that I carry (flares, VHF, Stingoes...). The second is that the juice bag has a bite valve on the end of the pipe. (The tripper has a clip that has to be undone so in order to get juice you have to a) put the end of the pipe in your mouth and b) undo the clip. When you drop the pipe you have to have grab the clip and fasten it again.) When you want juice from the Mocke you just shove the bite valve into your mouth.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #331 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: TRIPPER PFD, any alternatives?
I have had a Tripper for a few years. The major problem with the tripper is that the flotation consists of tiny foam beads in pockets that act like sponges. So when you remount you are carrying a few kg's of water with you (until it drains). This extra weight affects your ability to remount - try doing push-up and pull-ups with 2kg's extra on your back.

I got a Mocke jacket recently for my birthday. I am not 100% happy with it. The pockets on mine are tiny, my 2 litre hydration bladder won't fit in the back and a cell phone+flares fill the front. It seems that the jacket's design varies because Rob's jacket's pockets are large enough.

The Mocke jacket costs more than the Tripper.

On the plus side the Mocke jacket is designed for surfskiing and is made of foam cells in mesh which drain immediatly. It is well built and comfortable.

Drainage time for a jacket is important to me so I will be paddling with the Mocke jacket and reluctantly storing my juice on the boat.

More
17 years 1 week ago #332 by MFB
Where can I purchase the Mocke PFD?

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #333 by Alain Jaques
The Mocke jackets are made by Quiver Outdoor gear here in Cape Town.

The website is www.inflatables.co.za

Quiver Outdoor Gear

Manufacturers and Wholesalers of Outdoor Equipment & Accessories

Tel/Fax: (021) 705-0695

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

* Linda Barrie-Smith (Marketing Director): +27 83 289 5915
* Karen Pereira (Director): +27 83 462 8689

Physical Address:

Unit E10, Prime Park
Mocke Road How's this for a co-incidence
Diep River

More
17 years 1 week ago #334 by MFB
Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Alain,
The site doesn't have any info about the Mocke PFD. I emailed them already , hopefully will get a reply soon.

How much does it cost there? Is the hydration bladder and tube included? Any alternative online site ?

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #335 by Alain Jaques
You can choose the hydration option, the prices according to Brian's Kayaks in Cape Town are :
  • Tripper R 460 approx $61
  • Tripper with Hydration R 520 approx $72
  • Mocke R 685 approx $96
  • Mocke with Hydration R 795 approx $111

So the Mocke is significantly more expensive. The Mocke jackets shot up in price recently, they used to be on par with the Tripper's.

I compared different size Mocke jackets yesterday and the size 2XL/3XL that Rob and John wear have much bigger pockets than my L but are a bit loose around the arms on Rob and John. Mine fits snugly but the pocket is way too small. I only managed to fit 1 litre of juice into the pocket and for a four hour paddle it was not enough. The jacket was great though, I had no chafe and felt cool through the mesh ventilation. I haven't swum in it yet but that should happen soon.

Attachments:

More
17 years 1 week ago #336 by Philps
Hi All

Tripper also make a surfski specific PFD which has inflatable bladders in the back and front.(same bladders used in the drinking system) The idea is that you only inflate it fully if you need to ---i.e. have fallen out and lost your ski. Inflate by unclipping clip and blowing on the tube. Has two neon yellow pockets on front, reflective stripes on shoulders. Used one on Cape Point last year and didn't even notice it was there. Also has some of Gordon's idiosynchronicies... a strap between the legs so jacket doesn't slip off when being pulled out of the water ... didn't like this so cut it off , also has a strap behind the neck which makes it easier to pull paddler onto a boat !!!

Gordon has alos made a new version of his traditional foam balls PFD -- replacing with solid foam same as other PFDs. The logic being that this offers more protection in Big Water such as Umko etc. Available with/without bladder pocket on the back.

Latest Forum Topics