Removing sticky residue from gelcoat

More
16 years 5 months ago #2083 by [email protected]

Cleaning up the tape residue was a mission (had to use acetone).

I'm told that acetone can damage the gel coat and that ordinary thinners usually works to get sticky stuff off...

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 5 months ago #2084 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Removing sticky residue from gelcoat
I've used plenty acetone in the past to remove old stickers without any visible damage to the gel coat.

What I did struggle with was tree sap that dripped on my ski. I tried all sorts of solvents without success. Eventually I gave up and after a few weeks I went for a paddle with a gooey ski. When I got back the sap flaked off in chunks.. I don't know if it was the salt water or the neglect but off it came....

More
16 years 5 months ago #2085 by TheSwamp
I've had very good luck removing tape residue using pure citrus solvents - Goo Gone comes to mind as a brand here in the States. I am not aware of any issues with gelcoat, although I don't let it sit for extended periods of time, either.

Marsh J

More
16 years 5 months ago #2086 by Hiro
I've used gasoline to remove tape residue. Is it bad for the gel coal ?

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago #2087 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Removing sticky residue from gelcoat
Be very careful with Goo Gone. It bubbles the gelcoat fairly quickly (just tried it on one of my skis). You probably have to wipe it on and then get it off quickly with soap and water.

More
15 years 11 months ago #2088 by superted
Eucalyptus oil works very good.

Latest Forum Topics