A good Surfski watch

More
1 month 1 week ago #40841 by Carcharodon
Is there a waterproof sports watch where you can turn off the smoothing algorithm? My Suunto Ambit shows little speed variation when I'm on a downwind. I can be whizzing down a wave one second and completely stall out the next and yet the speed readout hardly changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40842 by Paul600
Replied by Paul600 on topic A good Surfski watch
My old Fenix 5 is pretty good at showing speed accurately and I guess the newer 6 or 7 models would be equally good if not better.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40844 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic A good Surfski watch
I like my old Garmin eTrex 20 for that very reason, the readout is quite granular and quick, unlike a Forerunner I once used, that was pretty misleading due to averaging.
It also has a screen larger than a watch and it's legible in most daylight conditions without a backlight.
Fancier GPS units are bulky, less legible in sunlight and eat lot more battery. eTrex is about perfect for a rigid Nelo strap with an adaptor to attach it to a GoPro mount Nelos come with. I don't even remove it for transport.

More
1 month 1 week ago #40845 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic A good Surfski watch
I have a cheap garmin instinct that works well, though it does smooth things a little more than some of my friends’ fancier models of garmin.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
1 month 3 days ago #40851 by Belacqua
Replied by Belacqua on topic A good Surfski watch
Check the different activities on your watch. Even cycling has a smoothing algorithm that I found annoying on the boat.

‘Cardio’ is one of the few activities that gives me raw gps data. In an ideal world you would be able to choose a smoothing rate equal to the accuracy of your gps.

Latest Forum Topics