Any experiences with Vajda wing paddles? Specifically enduro?

More
2 years 11 months ago #38325 by cjamoss
Hi guys,

New to the forum but wanted to try a stab in the dark.
Essentially what the title says; been looking for a second-hand wing paddle as I am currently using a Fenn3 which unfortunately is well and truly seized at ~216cm. This is apparently slightly too long for me at 6ft and my style according to local coach. 

I want the ability to adjust the length depending on weather and I am currently quite new paddling a boat which is a little tippy for my skills so a shorter paddle I think would help me have more blade-in-water time to get confidence and technique up. 

Where I live, there are limited options so currently looking at:

Jantex Gamma 210-15cm - obviously tried and tested, the paddle I would prefer but is $400AUD
Vajda Enduro 210-220cm - looks okay but cannot find anything online about them besides passing comments - $200AUD (could probably haggle to $150)

I am not a pro paddler so don't really know about catch and release etc. Just want something that will last me a long time and treat me well. 

So essentially, looking for any experiences or thoughts on vajda wing paddles. This is the Vajda 'enduro' paddle as opposed to their 'speed' paddle but either way, just general thoughts on build quality etc. 

Is it worth forking out double for a Jantex blade? Is the 10cm of adjustment worth anything over only 5cm on the Jantex?

Thanks in advanced!

(Images are all of the Vajda paddle besides the one that says Jantex)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38326 by mrcharly
I have a Gama Rio Medium Minus - the adjustment is 10cm. Don't know why websites say 5cm; old stock or not updated web page maybe.

The Jantex are feather-light compared to many other paddles. I bought mine for racing, but the advantage of a light paddle is even greater in very long trips.
I'd say two things about paddles:
  • They will last you a long time. Buy right, buy once. A friend tried cheap Chinese knockoffs, less than half the price of Jantex. He has 3 paddles now, each bought because he wasn't happy with the previous one. 
  • Try before buying. The feel of a paddle is really important and it is individual. Get the paddle that feels right for you, not something because it is cheap. The right paddle will be with you longer than any individual boat.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38327 by cjamoss
Thanks for the insight!

I know Vajda have good boats but unsure on paddles, I would hope the paddle is made to the same standards as the boats are so I don't think the Vajda is a cheap knock off. 

I am thinking the price is due to being worse for wear from looking at the photos.. 

They both have the same minimum length which should be fine at 210cm as a 6ft male paddler. 

Not sure I will have the ability to trial the paddles so am basically going of others view - the local coaches at my local shop all love the Jantex gear so that is likely a testament to its quality. 

Perhaps sucking it up and spending a little extra is worth it for a quality brand... 

P.s. the Jantex definitely has only 5cm of adjustment (see image) so must be an older model 
Attachments:

More
2 years 11 months ago #38328 by mrcharly
ah, I didn't realise these were second hand models.

10cm is much better.

I bought a 210-220 paddle - flat water, 212 is right for me. 
Wish I'd bought a 205-215 now, as I'd like to be able to go shorter than 210 for surfski.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38329 by mcbit
You have not mentioned the blade sizes of the paddles you have posted or your intended use. This is at least as important as the length.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38330 by cjamoss
Good point

Jantex is stickered as 'M'

Vajda is a 'Mid

As I mentioned, I'm relatively new having only picked up the sport end of start of this year so I'm not super fussy about optimal performance, more so something that is quality built and I can grow into.

Thanks for the reply

More
2 years 11 months ago #38331 by mcbit
My first paddle, an Epic Mid Wing green shaft which I found in my local paddling store is 210-220 which I soon found to be a little limiting, (I'm 5' 11" and 200 lbs). My other paddles, a Jantex Gamma Rio small plus and a Gara Odin are both 205cm - 210cm which I find much more versatile as I can utilise the entire length range. In terms of performance there not much in it with the Jantex probable being the most technical.  

More
2 years 11 months ago #38332 by cjamoss
Hmmm 

My concern with both is the minimum length being 210, would definitely prefer shorter. 

I'm 6ft and about 78kg. 

Perhaps it's worth sitting on my hands for a bit and seeing if a 205-215 paddle pops up anywhere...

Currently have a paddle as mentioned but I think a good drop in length would help as I do sometimes find my top hand far too high. 

More
2 years 11 months ago #38333 by mcbit
You can get new paddles built to order from ORKA and Gara in SA for AUD225 to AUD450 plus delivery.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38334 by mrcharly
Size is a very important point.

I have Gamma Rio Medium Minus. It is almost too much in a surfski. A Gamma Medium is a largish paddle

Comparing purely blade area is deceptive, some paddle designs have a stronger catch than others. 
Too large is exhausting and you'll either spill water (poor stroke) or have a slower cadence than desired. 

Too small doesn't have so many disadvantages. 

More
2 years 11 months ago #38335 by tve
Re: paddles stay with you a long time: I bought my first boat 3 years ago, together with my first paddle (Gara Odin S). Paddle cost 1/3 of the boat! (Plastic boat, that's why.) I now have 4 boats laying out there. I'm still using the same paddle and have no intention of changing. I bought  a cheap knock-off paddle as backup, but that's it.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38337 by cjamoss
All very good points thanks for all the insight.

Sounds like I have a bit of thinking to do. I am eager to get a shorter paddle but just have to wait around and see. I think I would want a smaller blade as I am 20 years old and have not got much muscle on me just yet - a bigger blade might give me more grief that its worth. 

Looking at the Jantex website medium is "only for the strongest and heaviest men" which I am far from.

To the original topic though, has anyone actually seen any Vajda paddles about or used any? They seem to be few and far between

Cheers for all the help so far!

More
2 years 11 months ago #38338 by mcbit
The older Gamma Medium is basically the the same paddle as the Gamma Rio Medium Minus.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38339 by mcbit
I have not used a Vajda paddle but looking at the pictures you have supplied; blade, burgundy shaft and the joiner it looks very much like a re-badged Epic Mid Wing which is a very good all round starter paddle and a keeper if it suits you well. 

More
2 years 11 months ago #38340 by cjamoss
To throw a spanner in the works, an epic club carbon has just cropped up.

2015-215cm and $300AUD. 

Thinking I might jump on that as it is a shorter length a decent price for a near new blade. It is a small-mid blade which I think is more suited to my weight and strength too.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38342 by mrcharly
That sounds like an excellent choice.

Epic are very well known and in demand, so if you decide to move on, you will be able to resell.

More
2 years 11 months ago #38343 by cjamoss
Went and bought this afternoon 

Was on a bit of a whim but didn't want to miss out. 

Epic club carbon with the green shaft, 205-215cm with a Mid blade 

Looks good and keen to try and get on the water if I can fit it in between horrible westerly winds and uni work! 

Yet to paddle on the wintery months so some lessons to be learnt! 

More
2 years 11 months ago #38347 by Charivari
I love my very light Wing Paddle (but I need an Allen key to change the angle or length).
kanuschule-bodensee.ch/produkt/schwarzer...made-in-switzerland/

Sailing since 1985, Laser, Cat.
Round the world trip by bike, 1990.
Sea-kayak from Vancouver to Alaska, 1990.
A-Cat, Bimare, 1990.
Coastal Rowing, Virus, 1992.
Fyling A-Cat, DNA F1, 2018.
New Coastal Rowing Boat, Volans, 2019.
First Surfski experience, material rent, 2020.
First Surfski, NK61, 2021

Latest Forum Topics