Surfski Wheels

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37515 by Meerkat
Surfski Wheels was created by Meerkat
Hey all, 
I live 2 min form Sydney harbour and want to purchase some wheels to simply wheel my ski down to the water. I have found some online but want to check if anyone has any advice before I spend the $$. 

Please see the attached pic. This is the closest I could get to something that will work. 

Thanks
M
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37517 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Surfski Wheels
I have that  exact same set of wheels. I use it to take kids rotomolded kayaks to the water. It is well made and durable. I loop some bungies over the kayaks to secure them and then pull the boats by the bow handle. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meerkat

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #37518 by Meerkat
Replied by Meerkat on topic Surfski Wheels

Thanks  very much but does it work well for Surf Ski's? I don't want to damage my rudder. 

More
3 years 6 months ago #37519 by zachhandler
Replied by zachhandler on topic Surfski Wheels
Have not tried it with a ski but you could always carry it with ski upside and down rudder facing the sky. Obviously you will have to put the wheels close enough to the stern so that the tail doesnt drag. 

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #37520 by Arcturus
Replied by Arcturus on topic Surfski Wheels
I have a similarly designed cart made by Wheeleez, their Kayak Mini Cart. It has a smaller frame with smaller wheels that use nonpneumatic tires that never go flat. They also make a version with a frame for the gray pneumatic sand wheels (frames are not interchangeable between wheel types). Both versions are also available in the standard larger frame, but I found that the mini worked perfectly well for my 17’ narrow sea kayak. Should be fine for a ski.

I also have a cart I’d bought earlier, called the Quantum Kayak Stern Cart. This one seems to have originally designed for rowing shells but worked for my sea kayak. Being very narrow, it went on very close to the stern, which meant I had to support more of the boat weight in my hand than the Wheeleez cart did (that one fit farther in from the stern).

However, there’s no reason you can’t put a cart under the BOW end instead of the stern. Pick up the stern end in your hand to pull or push it. That way you’ll have the rudder raised well above the ground while pushing or pulling the ski.

BTW, the reason I say “push or pull” is that I preferred pushing my kayak. I would put the cart under the stern, then pick up the bow handle and push the kayak ahead, stern-first. It was much easier to control direction and felt easier on my body than pulling behind me a long boat that I had to turn around to see.

The real question is do you have a secure place to stow the cart while you are paddling? With a sea kayak, the cart can quickly be disassembled and put into one or both hatches so no need to keep the cart on land or jutting out on the deck.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Arcturus.

More
3 years 6 months ago #37523 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Surfski Wheels
Most of my fishijng buds who have heavily laden fibreglass Stealth fishing skis with underslung rudders mainly use C-tug carts, not cheap, but rugged and dont slip like some of the cheaper carts. No reason they wouldnt work for a surf ski if its too far to carry. But then you have nowhere to store it once you get there

More
3 years 5 months ago #37563 by hawk_nt647
Replied by hawk_nt647 on topic Surfski Wheels
I used to live near the water, too, so I used small kayak wheels on the bow. I would push the ski from the stern so that I could make sure I didn't damage the rudder. I got a cheap cable lock for the wheels and left them at the beach.

• Meerkat
  • Visitor
3 years 5 months ago #37589 by Meerkat
Replied by Meerkat on topic Surfski Wheels
Thanks everyone for your great replies. The wheels arrived and they look great so far. I now just need to wait out the rain to get in the water. Looking forward to it. 

Latest Forum Topics