Which velcro to use with Epic seat pads?

More
5 years 10 months ago #31646 by SurfskiEstonia
Guys, are there any specific suggestions you can make on the brand of waterproof adhesive velcro to use with the pad.

I removed the original velcro supplied with the pads, but now was thinking to raise the seat of my ski for flat water paddling.

I'm asking this to make sure that I won't damage the ski with something that clings on the surface too hard, that won't be removable in future. Would something like this be OK for the ski? www.staples.com/waterproof+velcro+adhesi...roof+velcro+adhesive

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #31648 by nell
I haven't seen a sticky back velcro product that I'd trust to stay put - though I really didn't look too hard.

Instead, I've just used non-sticky back velcro and contact cement to attach the piece to the ski seat. It shouldn't harm the ski and should be easy to remove in the future with some sort of solvent like mineral spirits.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31733 by SpaceSputnik
Yeah the adhesive velcro that goes in the bucket is garbage. Mine came off first time out.
I am currently trying to use Marine Goop silicone to put in place. I used that product in the bucket of my V7 before to secure a home-made pad. It held well and I managed to remove it cleanly. This time however, it just refuses to cure. Probably the humidity.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31738 by Newbflat
Just tape in the bottom pad. Works fine.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
5 years 9 months ago #31975 by Gooch
I have the hip pads instead of the seat pad but believe the adhesive needs are the same. After a bunch of failed attempts with Velcro I bought a can of 3M spray adhesive and used that. If you have to remove it at some point you can still take it off and use label remover or goof off to get the glue off, more important it will stay put in all conditions. The hips pads are easy to sit on as you are getting in the boat and will peal off, the glue stopped that.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31979 by Fath2o
Regarding spray adhesive contact glues. I recommend using the "light duty" version so the installation is not permanent. Locktite has three versions that I am aware of;
100, 200 and 300. The 100 is not permanent and needs to to be reapplied on occasion to the edges. The 300 is almost impossible to remove and will tear the pads leaving a real mess. The 100 version works for me.

More
5 years 8 months ago #31988 by sski
I bought my ski used. Marine adhesive was on hip pads...solid as a rock. I put in seat pads like your pic-used simply velcro I bought on Amazon.
I really like the idea of adhesive spray- I have used that for race bib numbers etc and it's great/strong but comes off easily w/ the solvent.

Latest Forum Topics