Modifications - Pull Bar and Handles

More
7 years 7 months ago #26805 by Hugh
Hi all. I have just acquired a surfski, and want to retrofit handles at the ends (for safety, towing, etc) and a rigid pull-bar on the footbrace.
Any tips?
I presume that handles have to allow for the fragility of the underlying deck (It's a Stellar Excel layup, a few years old). Does that mean that glued is better than screwed? Is the very thin narrow part of the bow filled, so that I could just drill through it and pass a cord through?
Kirton and Nelo make pull-bars that attach in very different ways. Both look like they would work with some bodging, but I wondered whether anyone who has tried this would be willing to share the benefits of their experience.
Thanks,
Hugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #26830 by Simon Haywood
Hugh, I've owned and modified a lot of my Stellars (13 = 5 x Ultra construction, 6 x Excel construction, 2 x Advantage)- they are not solid at either end to drill and pass a rope through - I have checked with a borescope. I looked at adding handles at the end - I doubt it can be done properly without taking the deck off or adding too much weight...The nomex honeycomb patten well present a problem, if you want it to look cosmetically right.
Instead I opted to put centre grab handles - far better from a function aspect. Rarely do I have some one else to help carry the other end (although my SR series 2 has front & rear handles) it's much better in a breeze to carry it from the centre.

Below is my new daily ride - SR series 2 Ultra in custom orange...I added a Andersen Bailer too as well as centre handles.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Simon Haywood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hugh

More
7 years 6 months ago #26886 by SkiTutukaka
Hi there Simon,

Like the idea of adding center handles, did you take any photos or have any tips you could pass on to someone contemplating the same mod.

cheers
JP

Yeah, Nah ........... maybe.

More
7 years 6 months ago #26909 by Simon Haywood
SkiTutukaka
Hi there Simon,

Like the idea of adding center handles, did you take any photos or have any tips you could pass on to someone contemplating the same mod.

cheers
JP

Per your request...

www.surfski.info/forum/15-tips/18763-man...ding-hand-grips.html

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
7 years 6 months ago #26912 by SkiTutukaka
Cheers Simon,

always cool to see what people come up with in their sheds and really appreciate the willingness to share.

regards
John Park
Tutukaka
Aotearoa

Yeah, Nah ........... maybe.

Latest Forum Topics