Multi-sport GPS watches w. stroke recognition

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
  • ... trying not to mistake a mirror for a window
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24902 by Uffilation
Multi sport GPS watches with paddling stroke recognition

I use an older moldel (Suunto Amibit2) of such watches for paddling. It has a swim function that analyses swimming strokes using the acceleration sensor in the watch together with the GPS data and allows to record stroke per time/distance, cadance, numer of strokes, distance per stroke etc. One can teach that watch to recognize certain swim styles and analyze its Efficiency.

That swim stroke function actualy also works for paddling strokes as it can recognize steep vs. flat angle paddling. On satellite pics I can see my paddling route and colours indicate where I paddled how and how fast etc. ... there are also diagrams over distance/time for whatever is measured or calculated, as above > stroke per time/distance, cadance, numer of strokes, distance per stroke, etc.,also over heart rate, current speed, max. speed, avg. speed etc.

The neat thing is that one can write own apps (couple of apps being avaible for kayaking/SUP) to include/calculate all the stuff that one wants to record/analyze. Programming language is as easy as it can get also for noobs and bits and pieces can be used from other apps.

Also paddling against yourself (ghost) from a previous lap is fun. Well, does one need all that? No. But I do not paddle in a club, teach myself from watching videos on youtube and I am interested in an objective measure about any progress and not in my subjective self-observation and I can use it also for running/hiking/biking etc.

I plan to do a clinic with Boyan one day, but until then I enjoy to put numbers to my paddling here and then (e.g., am I faster or does that new surfski/kayak only feel faster than another ...).

Yeah, strange times, People today track and analyze themselves to squeeze out more performance out of ... the thing they love to do ... and in their freetime. Similar to what their bosses do with them during working hours in their office, although that's what noboby wants lol.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 6 months ago #24903 by Uffilation
anyone heard of or used Motionize Paddle with Iphone?

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #24911 by photofr
I believe that Motionize can be a great training tool. I admit, I am not ready for one (I am more like a ski, paddle, shorts kind of a guy, who forces myself to turn on my GPS before going on a paddle).

However, as a useful tool, I do believe Motionize can do more for you than anything else out there. I do not believe that they have it for iPhone (seems like it's a sensor / screen combo).

You have seen their website…
motionize-inc.com

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
8 years 6 months ago #24912 by photofr
GPS, as well as other tools like Motionize can be great training tools to build upon.
It's usually best to obtain proper paddling training from the beginning - so that you do not develop bad habits that take longer to fix later.

If you are not able to get proper training from a coach or instructor, take the next best thing:
Have a friend take a video of your paddling from different angles.
This will allow you to criticize your paddling in the comfort of your home - as long as you have some knowledge of what you are looking for…

Without video feedback, I assure you that your body will lie to you… it's the same thing in skiing, rock climbing, snowboarding, swimming, etc… My students were always blown away after seeing a video of themselves. Heck, video is so important that it's even worth paying someone to film you for couple of hours of their time. :)

After that… I can see where Motionize would come in - even though, again, I am trying to be a minimalist.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

• Uffilation
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24913 by Uffilation
Ludovic,
"(seems like it's a sensor / screen combo)."
The screen is an iphone, you find the app on the app store, sensor and mounting stand is extra, they also have a video on the webite. For me that are too many parts to think of taking with me and I'll stick to my GPS watch with integrated acc. sensor,
but the idea is cool: most people take smart phones on the ski/kayak anyay, so you just need the sensor and mounting stand. I just don't use/have a smart phone (not willing to join the wiping-addicted), prefer an old school big key-touch nokia bone w/o cam etc. for the waters in a dry bag.
Filming: I have a cheap action cam (no gopro) mounted on either stern or bow from time to time ... I had also fixed it on a tree at the shore once and paddled longside that tree and towards and back and forth ... I watch YouTube vids of the pros to compare with my paddling. Lots to improve.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Uffilation.

Latest Forum Topics