Parallel Wing

More
9 years 6 months ago #22055 by cody91
Parallel Wing was created by cody91
I'm in the process of buying a parallel wing paddle (GP3, Fenn1, Orka Legend). I've never owned one before only teardrop wings.

I typically paddle a 205cm to 215cm adjustable Epic mid wing. Should I go with the same length with a parallel wing? Shorter (200 to 210) or longer?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22065 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Parallel Wing
If you are wondering, then you probably need a shorter paddle anyway... that's just my personal belief that most of us paddle with blades that are too long.

That said, its easy to get a longer paddle cut down, and not possible to get a shorter paddle lengthened, so that's something to consider.

I found when switching from Fenn 4 to Fenn 1 that I was able to use a slightly longer Fenn 1 effectively, however I would rather have not gone longer if I had the choice (I was just borrowing it for the feel).

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #22066 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Parallel Wing

cody91 wrote: Should I go with the same length with a parallel wing? Shorter (200 to 210) or longer?

I have found that as the catch is easier on a parallel blade I can get the blade in earlier, hence have it longer.

For me a Carbonology CS3 (Teardrop)is at 213.5 in a K1
and the Carbonology CS4 (Parallel) is at 215 in a K1

In a ski I reduce both by 1.5cm.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22067 by cody91
Replied by cody91 on topic Parallel Wing
Rich and AR,

Thanks for the responses and the advice. I typically paddle at 207cm when on my ski. I ended up ordering a Fenn 1 2-piece (205 to 215 cm).

I think this will do. I'm curious how the Fenn 1 will compare to my Epic MW.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22076 by AR_convert
Good choice on length then, the paddle in much stronger at it's shortest length, so always good to have the adjustable section you are more likely to use in the lower end of the range.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22078 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Parallel Wing
Not having ever used anything other than my ONNO small/mid, I wonder about other paddles. I too am an old man ( kinda) with dodgy sholders, or at least one. An old small rotator cuff tear has me being very carful on how I paddle. It has taken me years and lots of PT to even be able to paddle again and I'm very conscious of doing everything to keep it happy. If it's rough out I switch from my V10 to my Stellar SR as it's easer on my sholder with less stress on my sholder over all. I'm courious if the Fenn 1, GP3 or Legend type paddle work closer to the hull than my ONNO?... I would like to get a paddle that doesn't track out away from the hull as quickly allowing me to protect my sholder a bit more at the beginning of the stroke. Is this something a parallel type wing is happy with or should I look somewhere else?

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
9 years 6 months ago #22079 by cody91
Replied by cody91 on topic Parallel Wing
Having not owned a parallel wing before, I'm curious to see how it performs versus the other tear drop wings I own (Epic MW and Jantex Gamma). I figured having a different paddle in the quiver would be fun. My first wing was an Onno MW. I liked it but I ended up selling it a while back.

More
9 years 6 months ago #22086 by AR_convert

cody91 wrote: Having not owned a parallel wing before, I'm curious to see how it performs versus the other tear drop wings I own (Epic MW and Jantex Gamma). I figured having a different paddle in the quiver would be fun. My first wing was an Onno MW. I liked it but I ended up selling it a while back.

Regarding performance. I have a teardrop and parallel blade that are exactly the same area (750cm2). I find my race speeds are the same BUT the teardrop does impact my shoulders more than the parallel. If you were to push me on it I would suggest the parallel blade is easier to pull through the water for the same speed on flat water and so over marathon distances may conserve energy.

Now on choppy water or the ocean, the teardrop is my only choice as it has much better stability characteristics.

All the more reason to have more than one paddle, just like ski's they will each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Latest Forum Topics