Kelp protection for rudders?

More
16 years 4 months ago #1385 by opskop
Excuse my ignorance (I'm from Durbs) but can any Cape locals tell me if kelp is really something to be worried about come Cape Point Challenge? Do rudder protection devices work well? Does anyone have photos of theirs? Please feel free to share troubleshooting tips for when I get stuck...
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1386 by LStanford
I wouldn't worry about it.

I've paddled through heavy kelp and haven't even been snagged. It's quite a thick, rubbery, er, plant.

It's more likely that you'll get stuck when the water surges away and the kelp monster rises out of the water to gobble you up. Just wait for the next wave to lift you free.

More
16 years 4 months ago #1387 by [email protected]
I had a piece of weed on my rudder recently in a race in Hout Bay. It was a real drag (arf, arf!).

A lot of the guys here use small triangular pieces of plastic or fibre glass glued to the ski just in front of the rudder. However I find this quite vulnerable when you go through kelp & have lost a number of them so I made a weed deflector from a piece of 20mm diameter (or thereabouts) plastic pipe. I cut it at an angle and glued the offcut to the ski. I'll take a photo of it tonight & post it. Much tougher than a sliver of plastic.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1388 by tomb

Re weed deflectors I paddle at Windsor in Sydney and we get a lot of weed, solution small peice of perspex or acrylate cut into a triangle in front of the rudder and attached with Sikaflex ( not araldite ), this compound is very flexible very ruberry and will flex enough so that the deflector will not come off yet stop weed.

A few guys with skis have opted for the smaller rudders 4 inch rather than the standard 9 inch this helps alot

More
16 years 4 months ago #1389 by [email protected]

A few guys with skis have opted for the smaller rudders 4 inch rather than the standard 9 inch this helps alot

Don't try going downwind with a 4 inch rudder though!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 4 months ago #1390 by MFB

I had a piece of weed on my rudder recently in a race in Hout Bay. It was a real drag (arf, arf!).
... I'll take a photo of it tonight & post it. Much tougher than a sliver of plastic.

Hi Rob,

Is the pic ready?

More
16 years 4 months ago #1391 by [email protected]
Here's a pic of my weed deflector cut from a piece of plastic piping and glued to the ski. It was greeted with derision by some of my paddling buddies who said that it would cause turbulence & drag...

But it's smaller than the cockpit drain covers and I figure the minute amount of turbulence it might cause is more than compensated for by its toughness & weed deflecting capabilities!

Rob

Attachments:

Latest Forum Topics