Re: paddle size

More
15 years 10 months ago #1337 by MFB
Re: paddle size was created by MFB

The FEnn 1 is a great user friendly shape - developed by Lettman? years ago. Feels nice and smooth in the water whether you're a beginner or expert. The Fenn 4 is a big blade and probably too big for most of us. The Fenn 3 is kind of like the 4, only a bit smaller. I think Dean Gardiner used the 3 for this years Molokai and I know a few others that like the 3, too. I've tried the 3 a couple of times and it was a nice neutral feeling blade. For the ski, you want to use as small a blade size as you can get away with - in my opinion.

I currently use a Bracsa IV and shaft at max (beyond increments) is at 214cm. Im 5'10 with a 31 in inseam, surf ski is a fenn mako 6. Length seems right but want to try a longer forgiving configuration. Seems its a choice between a fenn 1 and a 3. Im assuming the Fenn 3 is a smaller version of the Bracsa IV.

Anyone here with a Fenn 1 or Lettman 1?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1338 by silver
Replied by silver on topic Re: paddle size
Try a Jantex Gamma and you will find it a great paddle. The shaft has 5 cm of adjustmeant and they are light.

More
15 years 10 months ago #1339 by MFB
Replied by MFB on topic Re: paddle size
I just got my quote for a Jantex Gamma medium with adjustable shaft. Stiffness recommended for surf ski is soft shaft.

Its priced at USD433.69 or 280 Eur and that doesnt include shipping. Payment can be done via T/t. Its a very expensive paddle guys. How can you justify the cost?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1340 by MFB
Hahaha! :D

More
15 years 10 months ago #1341 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: paddle size
If you have to ask, you can't afford ;D

More
15 years 10 months ago #1342 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re: paddle size
The same blade is also manufactured by Erich Schlegel (Germany, www.es-paddel.de) and by Tomas Zastera (Czech, www.zastera.cz). The ES is called 'Speed' and pricing is going to be similar or a bit less than Jantex. Zastera's blade is sold as 'Burton' and is quite a bit cheaper than Jantex.

I considere 280,-EUR a good price. I got a quote for the adjustable splitshaft version at 340,-EUR.

• nell
  • Visitor
15 years 10 months ago #1343 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: paddle size
Why is it (if I am correct?) that paddle blades seem to be copied everywhere and that this is generally accepted as being OK, whereas copying a hull or deck, or even "portions" of a hull or deck is viewed as being an entirely different animal?

More
15 years 10 months ago #1344 by rojo
Replied by rojo on topic Re: paddle size
Depends if it is licenced production of the same shape or if it is an illegal copy of someone else's property.

At least with the blades I mentioned I don't know about the situation but two of the manufacturrers reference Burton as the original designer.

Hard to tell without his comments if it is OK or not for others to produce this blade.

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #2337 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: paddle size
Mark did you end up getting a new paddle?
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by superted.

More
15 years 8 months ago #2338 by MFB
Im patiently waiting for the Fenn 3 paddles to arrive, eta Sept. 8 at Oceanpaddlers in Costa Mesa, California. Price is USD275. I chose the 3 as its similar to Set and Epics mid wing. Its was also used by Dean Gardiner during the recent Molokai. Fenn 4 is the same as Brasca 4 so I passed on this one. Im currently looking for a split shaft that will fit the brasca 4 (current is max 210 only) , either from Brasca or Kajner. So far, no luck on this.

More
15 years 8 months ago #2340 by superted
Replied by superted on topic Re: paddle size
I was hoping you would have said you had bought the Jantex gamma :lol:

More
15 years 8 months ago #2343 by MFB
Its very very hard to justify that kind of purchase. : ) Besides, top guys use Fenn paddles. Who am I to want something more? : )

More
15 years 8 months ago #2346 by Stew
MFB wrote:
Im currently looking for a split shaft that will fit the brasca 4 (current is max 210 only) , either from Brasca or Kajner. So far, no luck on this.[/quote]

Well ask the right people nicely and you might get what you want.;)

More
15 years 8 months ago #2362 by MFB
HI Stew,

How are you? : ) Can you help me with my dilemma? I need a longer shaft for my brasca IV paddle? Do you have a spare lying around that you might sell to me?

Regards,

Mark

More
15 years 8 months ago #2367 by Stew
MFB wrote:

HI Stew,

How are you? : ) Can you help me with my dilemma? I need a longer shaft for my brasca IV paddle? Do you have a spare lying around that you might sell to me?

Regards,

Mark

How many would you like?? :P

Just fire me and e-mail, more than happy to help.

Latest Forum Topics