iPhone Rowing / GPS App?

More
12 years 2 months ago #11505 by brandt71
Anyone using iPhone app which will effectively replace a Garmin 310?
It makes sense to have a phone for a downwind and if it could do what a GPS does, then way fork out the $300 for a Garmin?
It would need the following features:
Compass
HR Monitor
Land based speed distance
Way point
Bearing tracker
GPS
Motion damping
Route save option
Cadence / speed
Distance to target

I've looked at Spyglass and Speedcoach Mobile.
Any other suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #11509 by [email protected]
I can't imagine taking my precious iPhone paddling...! But I know other folks do.

Here's a heart rate monitor that interfaces with the iPhone4S:

Wahoo HR Monitor for iPhone

They claim that a number of fitness apps like endomondo work with the HR data.

I spotted a number of charting apps for iPhone in a yachting magazine article the other day so I guess you could put together pretty much all the features you list except perhaps cadence.

When you've sussed your solution, let us know!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandt71

More
12 years 2 months ago #11515 by duncangroenewald
Try MotionX GPS

More
12 years 2 months ago #11522 by Rightarmbad
The only thing I would use my iphone for would be to put it in a fully sealed pelican type case, put that in a dry bag and run something like motion x and use it to email or text off position updates to a car that is going to be the pick up vehicle.

That way you could head off somewhere and just keep going until you had enough, all the time knowing that a vehicle knows where to find you or approximately when you will arrive somewhere.

I don't know how you could use it as a display, just too hard to protect it from the deadly brine and still be able to read it.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 2 months ago #11524 by duncangroenewald
I use a TopPeak iPhone Dry Bag and clip it on my foot strap. Unfortunately the iPhone screen is difficult to see outside so its pretty average. Works OK on a MTB. I also use Memory-Map which is a full map based navigation app.

MotionX allows you to load routes and tracks your path, etc.. Just need it to run on a device with better screen visibility in the daytime.

More
12 years 2 months ago #11526 by brandt71
www.over-board.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=iphone

We have used the above for the past 2 years - without issue. Just mount it to the 'dashboard' of the ski using 3M self adhesive Velcro. The V10's got a angled section that function well as the 'dashboard'.

Rightarmband - '....run something like motion x and use it to email or text off position updates to a car that is going to be the pickup vehicle.' Is this a function of Motion X?

More
12 years 2 months ago #11527 by duncangroenewald
Yes its standard function.

Better still you can track each other on the map - so if you're out with a bunch of mates you can see where they are on the map. I have not tried using this though. Obviously you need a mobile connection of some sort.

Latest Forum Topics