Bespoke surfski PFD's

More
12 years 2 months ago #11461 by brandt71
Why is it so difficult to get a proper surfski PFD?
Epic - is not planning to manufacture the PFD Oscar wore for the Dragon.
Think - Have not had a shipment of PFD's in over 5 months (to Perth)
Mocke - is still awaiting USCG approval
Ocean Paddle - to simplistic and does not breath well (in my opinion).

Anyone know whats going on?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #11462 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Re: Bespoke surfski PFD's
That would be supply vs. demand :) unfortunately us surf skiers don't represent a big economic force !

More
12 years 2 months ago #11464 by Simon Haywood
Hi There,

We have a new model currently under development...Specifically for Ocean Ski Paddling sizes Small - XXL built/certified to AS4758.1 level 50...should be available by July/August @ Under $100.00 ea more details to follow.

Regards,

Sumo

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
12 years 2 months ago #11470 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Re: Bespoke surfski PFD's
I recently purchased the Ultra "Ocean Paddler" from Dean Gardiner. It is of minimalist design for light weight and maximum paddling freedom, yet is fully compliant with the latest Australian Standard AS4758. Very comfortable.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
12 years 2 months ago #11471 by markjlyon
Replied by markjlyon on topic Re: Bespoke surfski PFD's
Astral Buoyancy and Kokatat both make great PFDs for paddling, and they both have high-quality construction standards compared to the surfski-specific PFD brands I've seen. Astral has the V8 for hot weather and the Willis which feels really comfortable. I'm using a Sea02 from Kokatat--it's great because its so low-profile, but I haven't tested it in hot weather yet.

More
12 years 2 months ago #11488 by lost john
Replied by lost john on topic Re: Bespoke surfski PFD's
I have the seaO2, yes it's low profile but it is very thick on your chest. So when you (I said very, right?) remount you are lifting your torso another four inches , compared to the OffshorePower inflatable (maybe one inch / 2.5 cm ). locals here say just practice remounts more, but no matter , it takes more energy no matter how you cut it. I also got the mocke vest, but I am right between sizes so mine let's me breathe but is a little big. To which I had to add extra Velcro to the waist strap for proper grip. The new mocke vest may be better, I have not seen it yet.

More
12 years 1 month ago #11832 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Re: Bespoke surfski PFD's
Brandt71, we will have a large shipment of PFDs landing in 3 weeks time, and have added a smaller size to out range (now have a M/L and a L/XL available). For WA specific information on Think, you can follow Adam's posts on the the Think WA facebook page, where he will update when the stock has landed in Perth.

www.facebook.com/ThinkKayakWA

Latest Forum Topics