× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Optimum Leg Length

More
16 years 7 months ago #782 by Madgus
Optimum Leg Length was created by Madgus
Does anyone have any information regarding the optimal leg bend for a ski?

I am aware of the various rules of thumb (enough room for a fist under the knee) and (knee at navel height) but they both seem like there is a lot of room for variation.

When ordering a fixed leg length ski manufacturers must have a guide to determine what the optimum length must be. Is there some equation that they utilise using a known angle to a specific leg length. If so what is the angle?

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #783 by [email protected]
I've asked a couple of folks about this and there doesn't seem to be a definitive formula.

Basically you should be comfortable and able to push your foot against the footplate when you rotate.

As an example I paddled a new ski this weekend and had the leg length too long. I couldn't push hard against the footplate without stretching my leg so far the back of my knee was pressing against the bottom of the cockpit.

I adjusted it - but too far and I then felt a bit twitchy in the boat. So the ideal is somewhere between those two positions!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

• benneta
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #784 by benneta
Replied by benneta on topic Re: Optimum Leg Length
If I could adjust my leg length I cuold be much taller....

Latest Forum Topics