× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Re: Remounting

More
16 years 8 months ago #65 by [email protected]
See the article below to see ace remounter Alain in action!
surfski.info/index.php?option=com_conten...ew&id=421&Itemid=155

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #66 by jsowers
Replied by jsowers on topic Re: Remounting
I know this has been mentioned on this site before, but how does one grasp foot strap and paddle on these new deep skies? While not a problem on my mako, I cannot grasp both the strap and paddle on my new V10 unless strap is adjusted as loose as possible. My hands are not particularly large, so I cannot "palm" a basketball and now cannot hold a V10 foot strap ???.

• Alain Jaques
  • Visitor
16 years 8 months ago #67 by Alain Jaques
Replied by Alain Jaques on topic Re: Remounting
Good question... Keith, Oscar how we supposed to remount now? You gotta build skis for people who fall off.

More
16 years 8 months ago #68 by bluesea
Replied by bluesea on topic Re: Remounting
In big conditions I don't feel very safe in the intermediate position with legs hanging over the rails, because it seems like you're vulnerable to a big whitecap dragging you out of control, or even throwing you over. My goal is to get into the full paddling position as quickly as possible, with paddle properly indexed and ready to brace. If a breather is required, I'd rather take it in the water before the remount, or after assuming paddling position.

More
16 years 8 months ago #69 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Remounting
When I came off at the ARB World Cup I had exactly your feelings - the waves were massive & were breaking hard. To my surprise I found that my technique (bum first) wasn't slow at all and I got back in really fast!

But then my leash came off (faulty clip) and I fiddled about for about the longest minute of my life getting reattached. I did NOT want to be out there without a leash!

The point is that both straddle & bum first methods can be quick given some incentive. :)

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 7 months ago #70 by cjborg
Replied by cjborg on topic Re: Remounting
I'm a novice, so may fail to appreciate the finer points, but the side mount is so very much easier and faster for me that I must ask, why should I master the straddle mount? The primary advantage claimed for the straddle mount seems to be speed of re-entry, but that is not the case for me, particularly with a loaded pfd.

More
16 years 7 months ago #71 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Re: Remounting

why should I master the straddle mount?

I'd say if you're quicker with a sidesaddle mount there's no good reason to master the straddle mount. Whatever you're comfortable with is good.

Rob

More
16 years 7 months ago #72 by stallion09
Replied by stallion09 on topic Re: Remounting
I can attest to the difficulty to grasping both the paddle and the foot strap on a V10. It is not easy unless the straps are set as wide as possible. I am fairly comfortable with the straddle mount and have yet to attempt the sidestraddle. Seems like when I fall from my ski I am usually tired and want to get on ASAP.

Thanks

My surfski blog

ct-surfski.blogspot.com/

Latest Forum Topics