× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Purchase the right ski for your ability

More
13 years 5 months ago #5787 by Paddle2Fitness
I am finding that a lot of paddlers are still purchasing skis that are well above their current paddling ability. This will be both frustrating and wet. Give yourself time to learn the new skill because paddling is the aim and not swimming.
There are a number of good development and intermediate skis now on the market and I guarantee you that you will go faster and your technique will become more efficient if you take the time and purchase a more stable boat.
I have put this free video together for you to show you what happens to your technique if you step up too fast. I apologise that all the skis are Ozflyte but they are the only skis I could use at this time. Think and Epic have simular flatter bottom and intermediate skis what will do the same.

www.youtube.com/user/Paddle2Fitness#p/u/0/nF-6g1fZra0

Happy Paddling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5788 by AR_convert
Thanks for the video, suspect this is my problem when I move from flat to choppy conditions.

I am interested to know what daily stability exercises you recommend?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 5 months ago #5791 by Rightarmbad
And in a perfect world we would all like to do that.

But, most people cannot afford multiple purchases.
And you have to be in the right place at the right time to pick up good second hand stuff.

The price of coaching is also too expensive for most.

I can sit on a ball and paddle.
I can walk a tight line above the ground and do very delicate balancy moves on rock. I can ride my bike through ridiculous terrain.
None of these help me when a current grabs the back of my ski and moves it from under me, while a wave tips the ski; My body has simply not learned to react quickly and instinctively to catch myself.
This can only be learned by being out there in the conditions that I struggle in.

So for me, like many, buy the boat you will grow into and take your time and ease into it.
Besides, learning to re-enter is part of it:)

For everybody else with cash to burn, what he said.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 5 months ago #5793 by Paddle2Fitness
AR_convert - if you email me through my web site I will send them to you.

Right - So are you saying that you would recommend a paddler to purchase a ski they cant paddle, fall out of most of the time (damaging boat, paddle and/or body), get very frustrated and probably leave the sport as a result?

I thought this site was aimed at helping other paddlers and making negative comments about what others had to say? If your goal ski is too much, you can’t afford to purchase a new one now and other one later (2yrs down the track) and you can't balance it away then purchase an old second hand ski or spec ski to practice on and get your skill level up first. Australian has geartrade.com.au which is a great second hand site. Once you feel more confident then purchase your goal ski. The reason being, ocean skis are not designed to handle a number exits and I have seen seems split and hence need repairing $$$$ and paddling is a very lonely sport when your starting out so get a ski that will bring you closer to the pack. Adding to this some of my clients come to me first for several sessions on my development skis to improve their skills and then purchase their goal ski. This way they have got the right ski for them, understand the basics and can go and enjoy paddling

Coaching fees - its hard for me to say anything about this seeing it’s what I do fulltime but I would think if a paddler purchases a new ski (av $4000) and paddle (av $500) they would spend 10% of this value to lean how to paddle correctly. As for being too expense, I can only talk about my fees and I offer a free come and try session to anyone wishing to come and have a paddle in one of our group sessions as well as free video analysis online. Adding to this I have relationships with a couple of manufacturers now and in return for them supporting my business I offer a free lesson to any new paddlers purchasing their make of ski.

You as a new paddler are going to spend a lot of money to set yourself up in this sport. You need to make the decision on if this money will be spent of you going forward or on repairs to craft and body.

Happy Paddling

More
13 years 5 months ago #5805 by bepe
Hi:
I purchased a spirit race ski and found it a bit oo tippy so it was collecting dust so I chopped away with my Finn Affinity which I named DAS GOAT. At the local club, they hand and Endorfinn so I tried it and bought one. I like it's stability and it is user friendly. On calmer days I try the Spirit race ski and do well.
What would be a fiberglass model surf ski that would be shall I say the next step up from the Endorfinn?
I live in Melbourne Australia and am looking for a Xmas present.

Are there any tips for side on waves other that avoiding them? LOL
George

More
13 years 5 months ago #5808 by Paddle2Fitness
Bepe, there are a number of development spec skis in the market and even though I have been around for 25 years I am unsure how many there are. I don't want to push one manufacture over another and I have been in trouble for this before on this site but I would recommend the Ozflyte Ozpro - flat bottom, stable, fully adjustable so easier to sell when you get better, good in choppy surf and great for surf carnivals. Maybe someone else could recommend Bepe another brand to try?

The thing is, while you are developing your skills a racing spec ski will always go faster but if you were able to race yourself on both skis at the same time and fall off the racing ski just once then a solid development ski will win every time.

Seeing you are in Australia, if you would like to discuss please call me or contact me through my web site.
Photo attached. Ozpro is the yellow one.

Happy Paddling
Attachments:

More
13 years 5 months ago #5809 by Paddle2Fitness
Bepe, you need to get your hip use to moving side to side. Not a normal movement unless you are a master salsa dancer. Start by sitting on a swill balance ball and just move your hips from side to side. I did a free video on my YouTube site if you are interested. Good luck

More
13 years 5 months ago #5814 by AR_convert
Bepe, as was said above, you need to practise moving hips, even better, do it with your eyes closed once you have good muscle tone.

Without going into a 2000 word essay on the physiology of movement and balance there are parts of your nervous system that can detect changes in muscle stretch/tension and put together with your inner ear stability process, if you have those senses well developed you dont even need to be looking at those waves (as we do when starting out) for our bodies to instinctively react to the boat moving beneath us.

This is how I know if I have mastered the boat I am paddling, if I am able to look at the horizon instead of what my boat is about to encounter and keep a smooth paddle stroke.

As for boats, we are becoming truly spoil for choice and the 2nd hand market is growing with the sport :)

Boats thats come to mind that you should look out for are the...

Epic "V10 sport"
Fenn "XT"
Kayak Centre "Dorado"
Think "Evo"

There are a lot of other boats that claim to be beginner/intermediate ski's, I'll let others with knowledge of them add them if they wish.

I have been through 3 boats in the two and a bit years since I've started paddling and I'm shopping for my 4th.

One thing I'll say is that the iconic brands of Epic and Fenn sell really well and 2nd hand they sell very quickly, if one comes up 2nd hand you need to get onto it right away.

I sold my V10 sport within 2 weeks and V10L within a week of advertising and for very close to purchase price, they hold thier value. If you do pay a little more for one of these boats you may well do better on resale when you trade up.

I'm not saying they are any better than the other boats out there but when the flock are paddling them the sheep tend to follow ;)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 5 months ago #5816 by bepe
I'll pick my days and take the Affinity off the roofrack and load up with the Endorfinn and Race ski (plastic) and practice side on a bit more.
I had it wrong in that I though the hips had to remain rigid!
Funny thing was that when I was paddling with Gerards group, the onshore breeze made the bay choppy, like maybe 3/4 meter when I saw a paddler in trouble off her fiberglass sski near the rock wall. So I cranked the endorfinn looking at her and got there quickly. Had I looked at the waves, I would have hesitated. So I agreed not to look at the LOL.
Great info about type of ski's. I am a bit rough with mhy equipment and my roof racks are way up on top of my HI LUX that has a box on it. But I will have a look around. I will practice.
I was paddling at patterson lakes but now when it is warm they close the parking lot to cars w/o trailers and it can be a long walk. I now paddle at Mt Martha Beach.
Thanks again,George aka Bepe, pronounced Beh Bee. I got that name from a team Lanica LeMans driver.
George

More
13 years 5 months ago #5818 by rubberDuck
I will add to the advice given by Brett.

I started paddling around Feb this year and once I learned NOT to look at the waves and counteract their action with my lower body my stability improved.

Also, learn to relax, no matter what the state of the water is. Take some deep breaths every now and then. It helps to relax your body. As soon as you see the waves and tense up, your body is rigid and you are unable to separate to movement of your lower body from the upper body.

I also cycle, and that seemed to have improved my balance a fair bit. Maybe because it exercises the muscles around the knees. Not sure.

BTW, I started on a Custom Kayaks Horizon which is a very stable boat and I am now transitioning to my Think Evo.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5821 by Stew
Hey guys,

I wrote this blog for Mykayakcoach.com. Hopefully it can help you in choosing the right craft.

I think Julian has summed it up well, and I agree wholeheartedly. Buying an elite level ski thinking that the more time you spend on it will mean you master it is the wrong approach. That 'may' possibly be the case on flatwater (and even then you will compromise your technique as you learn, and have to correct it later), but the ocean is a different beast, and stability is key.

Cheers,

Stewart.

www.mykayakcoach.com/blog/choosing-the-right-craft.

More
13 years 5 months ago #5825 by bepe
Yup:
I got it wrong.
I stuck with plastics for durability and went from the classic Goat Boat ( I don't like that name ) and wanted something faster as such.
I went to the spirit race ski and stopped using it because I never felt comfortable in it. So I hammered away with my Affinity.
Somonefrom Patterson Lakes Club had an Endorfinn and I took to it like a duck to water. I was able to hammer away.
Then when I got back on Spirit Ski I realised my skills were better on flat water. But on the bay flat water happens less than I'd like so I chose the kayak for the conditions.
The Affinity and I handled a decent chop close to shore and I went there and back with side waves the whole trip. Talk about hips movement!
But I agree, there are learning curves that are too steep and discouraging. I think as well as some of you mentioned that we should do it in steps and find out from experienced paddlers where we are at, what we would like to achieve, and what is the best ski at the current (no pun) skill level. Then once that ski is mastered, to move up to the next step if you like.
I do more recreational paddling so at the moment I will continue with what I have but the knowledge shared here was and is very valuable.
Mind you I own 4 kayaks:
Hobie Revolution foot powered
Endorfinn
Spirit Race ski
Affinity.
2 of which always remain on the roof racks on the ready.
If and or when I get a GF one I will seek alternative storage.
Thanks again.
I might stop by a come and try session.

Are any spots on the bay more popular than others for ski paddling?

I like Mt Martha Beach since Patterson Lakes has bad parking unless you have a boat trailer.

Thanks again,
George

George

More
13 years 2 months ago #6368 by bepe
I saw some interesting tips.
it was interesting to see shoulder rotation with somone wearing a strip down the side of their top.
I saw how in some cases the strip never went past vertical, just forward and verticle but not past vertical
good stuff
b

Latest Forum Topics