× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Race starts on flatwater...technique tips please?

More
15 years 7 months ago #2319 by Janita K
Again....my story is I paddle mostly on my own so this forum is my only way of tapping into some knowledge about what I should and should not be doing....
So...
if you are preparing for a race with a flatwater start, how do you nail the technique of getting a nice crisp smoooth start?
I am thinking logically that short sharp strokes to get the hull out of the water must be better than giving those early strokes too much grunt...coz when I do this it feels like with a bit too much power on the first 3 strokes I could easily pull myself off my ski. (It would be good to avoid a re-mount in the first 100 metres!:( )
So...again, thanks in advance dear readers if you can advise on the basics of getting the best start possible on flatwater.
(PS. I love this forum...you can learn SO much..and easily):)
Janita K
Hervey Bay
Qld, Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2322 by YBA/Jim Murray
Three short strokes is [was] the magic number of short strokes to use to get the boat from stop to up and begin the glide. Then begin to lengthen the stroke. By the end of 8 to 10 strokes you should be at full speed. That all depends on the strength and skill of the paddler.
You will save a lot of time if you can find a coach. Video of yourself compared to top paddlers would be a great help There is great video around of Idem [italian], Carolyn brunet{canadian] and many others. That should be available from national coaching in Aus.
I wish you success!

More
15 years 7 months ago #2375 by grapescott
I've done many intervals with my training partner- we have equal speed in sprints.

I have tried different techniques off the start line. The fastest (for me) is quick short strokes with little power- just the fastest stroke rate possible for about 10 strokes. I can consistently gain a boat length every time. I do not gain or loose lead over 250 meters or so.

Yet I have experimented by starting even with other boat for 50 meters or so then put on the power, but never really gain much.

Long story short- for me, short rapid strokes till up to speed.

Scott

More
15 years 5 months ago #2521 by kiwial
Start with 1 blade in the water about midcalf, when the gun goes quickly plant your other blade for your short sharpys. This will break the initial surface tension and make your start a bit smoother

More
15 years 5 months ago #2543 by MOsurfskier
PLEASE NAME THE EXACT VIDEO TITLES ON SURFSKI RACING TECHNIQUES. THANKS (USA)

More
15 years 5 months ago #2546 by YBA/Jim Murray
www.kayaksport.net/ Click on technical: library,technique,training. This is put together by Mike Fekete who coached Toronto Island canoe club. The ideal thing is to find a club with a coach and some paddlers to practise with- I know, not so easy in the states.
If you are close to Canada, check for a flat water club at www.canoekayak.ca/ that is probably not far away.
If that doesn't work try to have someone video your paddling. You should have it analyzed by a coach though.

More
15 years 5 months ago #2547 by nenino
YBA, thanks for the useful links!

More
15 years 5 months ago - 15 years 5 months ago #2550 by Christian_Hoeier
You want to start with a high frequency and keep it. In the begining only insert the blade in the water about midcalf. As you speed up you insert the blade deeper and deeper. In about 10 strokes the blade should be fully in the water.
Last edit: 15 years 5 months ago by Christian_Hoeier.

More
15 years 5 months ago #2561 by MOsurfskier
Thanks for the great tip.

Latest Forum Topics