× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Novice Kayaker

More
3 years 4 months ago #37651 by NZFrank
Novice Kayaker was created by NZFrank
Hi, 
Looking to join a group of kayakers who go out once a week in the bay of islands for an hour or 3. Most are sit in kayaks. No fishing, camping etc. I am less agile than i was and not as fit. I am also a relative novice, but wish to join and do not want to be left behind, so a faster kayak will be needed.
Some have suggested a sit in kayak of 5m length with a comfortable seat (see attachment).
But, Would a "beginners" surfski be appropriate?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #37671 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Novice Kayaker
A beginner surfski will be about as fast as a decent sea kayak. Any ski much "faster" than a good sea kayak will require a certain level of skill and fitness. If you don't have the required skill and fitness; you will actually be slower than if you paddled a sea kayak. Surfskis are great fun but they are not as versatile as a well designed sea kayak.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Atlas.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37678 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Novice Kayaker
I guess it depends on the group you paddle with. I joined a kayak group and they restrict the boats to no rec boats, at least 14 feet with sealed bulkheads, paddle skirts, and lights. I paddled my surfski with them once and I gots lots of dirty looks. I couldn't stand waiting for the  slowest paddler to keep up, so I stopped paddling with them. I like to paddle about 6 mph unless I'm racing or doing intervals. 

So, if your group is anything like that, a beginner surfski like an Epic v8 or Nelo 510 would be great. Comfortable, stable, fast, and easy to paddle.

More
3 years 4 months ago #37725 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Novice Kayaker
In regards to being faster in a beginner ski, I wouldn't count on that. At that level it's 99% about your paddling ability. I have been left in the dust by seasoned sea kayakers while being a novice in a V7 more times than I can count. The cruising speed difference between beginner ski and a decent sea kayak is not really that significant and chined/rockered sea kayaks may have an advantage in confused rebound conditions.
But. If you feel like doing it with a stable ski, by all means go ahead. These are comfortable and fun boats. Just don't expect miracles.

Latest Forum Topics