× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Ski or K1

More
3 years 7 months ago #37222 by KobiNewman
Ski or K1 was created by KobiNewman
Hi all, i thought here would be the appropriate place to ask as i have seen many previous discussions about k1 kayaks. Before moving to Tasmania for University i regularly paddled a Fenn Elite Sl (carbon) and absolutely loved it. After a recent session here in a k1 (about 1.5 hours of getting my balance before i  was comfortable to paddle it) i have found myself looking to getting back into the sport. So i am here to ask should i get another surfski or a K1. (because i saw many comments regarding size of the paddler for suiting i weigh 70kgs and am about 190cm tall). Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37224 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Ski or K1
I'm biased of course but...  surfski without a doubt.

Some Australia's best paddlers (think the Norton brothers) are from Tassie.

Put it this way - you can paddle a surfski on flat water - but you can't take your K1 into waves! 

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
3 years 7 months ago #37225 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Ski or K1
Depends where you paddle, a K1 is definitely fun to conquer but is limited in where you can use it. However if you are paddling rivers often with limited access then often the ease of manhandling of a k1 is a lot easier than a more unweildy ski. If you are into flatwater competition marathon then even though there are sometimes skis included k1s are the universal, especially if you are racing with portages. As far as paddler weight is concerned skis having greater buoyancy and length are obviously more suitable for larger paddlers . At only 70kgs, you would have no issues with a k1. If you are talking about which is faster then it depends on your skills, K1 takes a higher level of ability to get the best out of them, hence many who paddle both are actually faster in a ski than the theoretically faster k1..With the trend towards shorter skis then these may become an option for those making the same decision

The ideal is to have both, if you can only have one and have potential for paddling open waters, including lakes, then a ski is the obvious choice.

More
3 years 7 months ago #37226 by waverider
Replied by waverider on topic Ski or K1
Do you remember which type of k1 you paddled? There is a huge stability difference between a masters k1 and an ICF racing k1. Also once you throw in wash etc they are a whole lot less forgiving.

Latest Forum Topics