× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Protecting the ski from paddle blows

More
7 years 8 months ago #26491 by SurfskiEstonia
Guys, I wanted to ask for Your views on using stickers or tape etc to protect the ski color/gel coating from paddle blows.

I sometimes hit the ski while paddling, but mostly get long scratch-like lines on the ski when holding the paddle pressed to the ski while carrying it on my shoulder, putting it in the water and especially while remounting.

What are some of the practices that You experienced people use?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26492 by GlenRusky
Here is an old post on this topic. It's called helicopter tape.
www.surfski.info/forum/17-equipment/1284...tive-tape.html#12845

Current Ski: Nelo 550 ML (4 WWR)
Previous Skis: Fenn Spark - carbon, Vajda Hawx elite, Fenn Swordfish - carbon, Fenn Elite - carbon

More
7 years 8 months ago #26493 by gstamer
I use the following helicopter tape from Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TR6EW2/ref...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

The tape is a pain to apply dry. I've found it's easiest to put the tape on wet. First, clean the area to be applied. In a small container, mix water and just a touch of dish-washing soap. Wet the surface and back of the tape with the water/soap and apply the tape. This will give you some time and allow you to slide the tape exactly where you want it and work out any bubbles, etc.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26517 by Davidw
Use SUP rail tape. It's designed to protect a SUP form paddle blows and works for the same purpose on a ski. One set of tape will probably be enough for 4 skis.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26594 by red_pepper
I've been using electrical tape; inexpensive and it works well.

More
7 years 7 months ago #26630 by jfudo
I bought a length of Keel Eazy tape and put is on the rails at the catch and I put a little on the bow in case I ever beach the boat or something. www.kealeazy.com

Comes in a lot of colors. Sticks pretty well unless there is a compound curve (like at the front of the catch when it starts widening out) because the tape is pretty thick and is made of pvc so it is somewhat rigid too. Does a great job, obviously it prevents scratches on the boat but doesn't leave a mark on my carbon paddle either when they come in sudden and direct contact.

Latest Forum Topics