× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Ballance and Age

More
9 years 10 months ago #20873 by Joseph
Ballance and Age was created by Joseph
G'Day,

Yes it is real as we age our balance, power, and timing slow a bit and Like ageing a Fact not to much can be done about it. I find doing what I have been doing for years will help, I teach Balance in T'ai Chi 3 1/2 days a week and some M, Arts, I did not buy my first ski till age 58 and today at 82 still out on the Gulf paddling I have had to go to a not slower but more stable Ski's like a 24 lb. X/T a NELO 55 and an older Spec Ski. Seems this starts in the mid to late 60's for most and most give up then and take up Golf, or a young Bimbo to prove me man, I have paddling Mates at 72 one a board surfer still, and a water man all his life the other a lifter of Iron and a great open water swimmer both bitching about slop and chop on a ski so they also went to a more stable Surf Ski, none of us have a ski for Flat water and I do not mind flat water but not on a Ski. I use also a Prone Board as a change and Bike riding a single speed Surly Mt.Bike and a flip flop Track bike and Hike in a swamp with my hound and Love my Lady.

Cheers Joseph

Joseph
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chookman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #20874 by Chookman
Replied by Chookman on topic Ballance and Age
Hi Joseph,

One word: Inspirational!

Thankyou for posting!

More
9 years 9 months ago #20901 by TaffyMick
Replied by TaffyMick on topic Ballance and Age
Bought my first ski 3 years ago at 55 Joseph. Same as Chookman. Inspirational.

Mick

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
9 years 9 months ago #20903 by owenw
Replied by owenw on topic Ballance and Age
Jeez, I'm only a boy at 68! I now race a fat Stellar SR, but have started to paddle a very skinny SES (on "flatwater" only), no swims yet. Been paddling kayaks a few years, but started on skis at 65. I'm looking forward to the next 2 decades.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

• photofr
  • Platinum Member
  • SURFSKI: K1 560M - 560x43.8 / K2 Viper - 650x56
More
9 years 9 months ago #20980 by photofr
Replied by photofr on topic Ballance and Age
That's fantastic and very glad to read you are still at it.
I love the outdoors - most having to do with balancing somehow:
Biking, telemark skiing, snowboarding, surfski, SUP, rock climbing, etc…

The problem of balance that you are referring to is merely amplified for me; following a really bad car crash (against my road bike), it was said that I lost 9% of my balance system. 30 years later, I am 46 and struggling from time to time with balance.

To top it all, I like to sit up high on a boat - so adding 2cm of foam on my Fenn Spark isn't really helping matters.

I so very much enjoy the gliding of the boat… it's really hard to stop torturing myself from time to time.

Ludovic
(Brittany, France)

Latest Forum Topics