× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Leg/Hamstring Pain

More
11 years 6 months ago #13539 by Shady
Leg/Hamstring Pain was created by Shady
After a few long trainig paddles in preparation for the Hawkesbury Classic I keep getting very sore Hamstrings after about 2hrs in the saddle.

I'm not quite sure why or more importantly how to fix it and was wondering if this is common.

I recall last year when training for the classic I had the same problem but in a different ski.

Epic V10 Sport Performance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13548 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Leg/Hamstring Pain
I'm wondering if your straining to hold yourself forward and overstretching your hamstrings? Perhaps a seat designed to tilt yourself forward a little would help?
Or is it pressure from the seat cutting of blood supply? Again, perhaps you need to make yourself a seat. I've paddled in kayaks that have been comfortable for a day paddle, however after 3 days paddling during a trip I've hardly been able to walk afterwards or have had pain sitting in the previously comfortable seat. The solution is a custom made seat, can now paddle all day everyday with full comfort and I would think at the end of 9 hours your body would thank you.
Have a look at how I go about making seats for my ski's and kayaks.

www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.348244...0002425151844&type=1

If you click on each picture there are instructions or reasons I made each seat as I did.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13554 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Leg/Hamstring Pain
Maybe shorten your leg length 1 notch. My guess is you are concentrating on rotation and straightening your legs more as you drive. You should be able to shorten leg length slightly and reduce the strain on your hammies.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13561 by Wally
Replied by Wally on topic Re: Leg/Hamstring Pain
Just one question, what ski are you paddling? If your foot board is not at the correct angle you will have these problems.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13567 by Shady
Replied by Shady on topic Re: Leg/Hamstring Pain

Wally wrote: Just one question, what ski are you paddling? If your foot board is not at the correct angle you will have these problems.

I'm paddling a V10 Sport. I find that its difficult to direct all the pressure on my heels and usually end up with the pressure spread between the heels and middle of the foot. Not sure if I can or should adjust the angle.

Dicko wrote: Maybe shorten your leg length 1 notch. My guess is you are concentrating on rotation and straightening your legs more as you drive. You should be able to shorten leg length slightly and reduce the strain on your hammies.

Being a total nood I thought it worked the other way around and lengthened the leg length by a notch or two. I do recall having sore knees with a shorter length.

Kayaker Greg wrote: .....Or is it pressure from the seat cutting of blood supply? Again, perhaps you need to make yourself a seat.

I had thought that the seat maybe too tight and restricting the blood flow. I inadvertantly bought the Sport Z seat model with the smaller bucket but I recall having similar issues with the V8 which has a bucket big enough to fit the largest of backsides. I have heard that the restriction of blood flow can be caused by pushing my coxic back against the bucket too much.

Epic V10 Sport Performance

More
11 years 6 months ago #13586 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Leg/Hamstring Pain
Your hammies cross 2 joints. Your knee and your hips. The straighter your legs, the tighter your hammies. Bending your knee, by shortening your leg length will ease the pressure on your hammies. If you are getting knee pain, then it is most likely knee cap issues. A simple tape pulling your kneecap towards the middle will fix this while you are paddling.
When you've finished doing the ridiculous long flat stuff put your leg length back to your normal ocean paddling length.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shady

Latest Forum Topics