× Tips and techniques for getting the most out of surfskiing.

Paddling in steep fast waves

More
11 years 7 months ago #13147 by Zephyrus
Hi,

I'm getting fairly comfortable paddling in 2-3 ft waves except when the waves are:

Steep
Fast moving
Coming from behind me (where I can't see them)

In this case, my boat is often on 2 or 3 waves at once. The trough of the wave is sometimes directly below where I put my paddle in the water. (This causes the paddle swing through the air for the first half of the stroke before abruptly slapping the wave I'm sitting on)

The boat itself also feels more unstable when wave are coming from behind (the stern feels like it slides around side-to-side) perhaps because it's a Rapier 20 with a rear mounted rudder).

1)Any tips on paddle placement? Do you have to look at the water and actively place the paddle depending on which part of the wave it's on?

2)Is it normal for the stern of the boat to "slide around" a bit when waves come from behind?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13153 by Physio
No expert, but put yr blade in at the crest or just a little past.

More
11 years 7 months ago #13161 by Bill L
Since your rudder is at the stern, when on a wave it is likely sticking out of the water much of the time rendering it ineffective (especially on a steep wave), giving the boat the feeling of being pushed around. Which is why surfskis have the rudder mounted forward of the stern, but it sounds like you already know that.

Come over to the dark side - get a surfski.

Bill L

• joyee
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14633 by joyee
Replied by joyee on topic Re: Paddling in steep fast waves
Indeed it is best way to learn for beginners. I also use to this training when I was not much familiar to this work.

Latest Forum Topics