PFD design/construction

More
16 years 10 months ago #503 by LStanford
Is the real issue here not perhaps the fact that people don't wear PFD's?

However, I have a similar observation about PFD's: why are they so poorly designed?

I haven't yet seen a PFD that can carry the required flares, cellphone, car key and whistle - along with attachments to the PFD. Some come close... but none get past 80% of MY requirements.

I know some people put their flares in the "locker" on the surfski, what happens when the surfski is blown away?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #504 by [email protected]

However, I have a similar observation about PFD's: why are they so poorly designed?

I haven't yet seen a PFD that can carry the required flares, cellphone, car key and whistle - along with attachments to the PFD. Some come close... but none get past 80% of MY requirements.

Well, here in Cape Town, Quiver manufacture the Mocke PFD. There's nothing to stop us going to them (perhaps with Dawid) and asking them to make a special version that is capable to meeting our specifications.

They could perhaps call it an "offshore" PFD - other folks might not want all the attachments, etc. Arguably there's no point in carrying flares if you're never more than 50m from the beach.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Latest Forum Topics