Ankle leash

More
17 years 2 months ago #36 by [email protected]
I tried a Huki ankle leash on a lively Millers run the other day (30kt gusting 40kt and biggish waves). The leash is a coiled leash similar to a surfing leash but with a velcro loop on both ends (big around the ankle and smaller to go around your foot strap).

I was interested in two things:
a) would it be in the way and uncomfortable?
b) would it be in the way if I had to get back in the ski.
c) how easy would it be to unfasten the leash from my ankle as I approached the surf at Fish Hoek

The answers were:
a) because it's coiled, it takes up very little room and I really didn't notice it while I was paddling.
b) I was "lucky" enough to fall in just after the start of the run and found that it didn't get in the way as I climbed back in.
c) It was very easy to undo - I just took that foot out of the ski, brought it back to where I could reach the tag on the strap and I ripped it off.

So I'll be using the ankle leash whenever conditions are extreme and we're going offshore. I use a paddle leash too - so I won't be losing paddle or ski anytime soon.

(Remember not to use an ankle leash when going through big surf - you could break/dislocate ankle, knee or hip or all three!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #37 by Noise Under The Bed
Replied by Noise Under The Bed on topic Re: Ankle leash
Rob,
I also just got the Huki ankle leash and I love it. Comfortable and out of the way, exactly how a leash should be. Now if only the Ice in the harbor will break a bit by the time I get home from the bahamas ;D

More
17 years 2 months ago #38 by Philps
Replied by Philps on topic Re: Ankle leash
Hi Rob

Where did you get this leash from ?

Is it a South African product ?

I have tried paddle leashes but would prefer an ankle leash that is easy to remove or attach ?

More
17 years 2 months ago #39 by Noise Under The Bed
Replied by Noise Under The Bed on topic Re: Ankle leash
The ankle leash is made by Huki Outrigger canoes and surfskis in california, it costs 25 american I beleive. Huki's website is www.huki.com go to the online store on the menu bar, the leash is under safety items

More
17 years 2 months ago #40 by Stan K
Replied by Stan K on topic Re: Ankle leash
Hi all

I am in the worst city in SA. According to MH magazine ;-) Say where does one get a Huki leash in SA.

"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" -Nietsche

Latest Forum Topics