Leash attachment point

More
7 years 8 months ago #26477 by seajak
Sorry to enter such a newbie question as my first post but I've been searching the board and haven't been able to find an answer. I'm 71 years old and have been paddling for about 10 years, starting on sit-on-tops and gradually trading up to longer and skinnier boats until now I'm on a Stellar S18S (OK not so long and skinny :) ). I've always used a paddle leash attached just in front of the cockpit and have no trouble re-entering siting sideways and swinging my legs in. However, the Stellar has a leash mount just in front of the hump which makes it hard to remount with the leash attached unless you straddle the boat behind the cockpit. I have been using the footstraps for the paddle leash but want to start using a calf leash as I've just moved to the Byron coast and want to spend more time offshore. It seems that the centre mount is even more awkward with a sidesaddle remount but I've read that there is a chance that the footstraps can pull out if the leash is mounted there. What to do, use the footstraps or learn to swing my legs behind and mount that way?

cheers,
clay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26478 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Leash attachment point
Hi Clay,

I have a Stellar Surfski (SR + SEI) and use an Epic Leash and I have no problems to remount the ski with the side saddle method. Where is the problem ?

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seajak

More
7 years 8 months ago #26479 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Leash attachment point
Hi Clay.

The leash point in front of the hump is generally used to secure a calf leash which as I think you already know, you should start using immediately. If you come off in rough water and a decent gust of wind gets hold of your boat; you will have a snowballs chance in hell of hanging on to it using only a paddle leash. None of the ski paddlers that I know use paddle leashes. However, most would agree that a calf / leg leash is essential. Such an arrangement should give you no trouble while you are remounting your boat. It might be something you just need to figure out on the water. Don't over analyse it.

Cheers. Adam.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
7 years 8 months ago #26480 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Leash attachment point
Clay

I should have read your post more thoroughly ! You were talking about a paddle leash. That´s a different story !
I guess I´ve got nothing to add to Adams post.

Michael

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26481 by seajak
Replied by seajak on topic Leash attachment point
Thanks Adam and Michael,

The owner of the shop where I bought the Stellar (and leash) advised using the footstrap which is why I thought it might be the best option. The problem with the calf leash in the dedicated fitting is that I end up with it wrapped around my legs. Guess I'm just not as agile as I used to be :( . I'll keep practising on the water and try to take note of where the leash is before I remount.

cheers,
clay

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #26484 by Uffilation
Replied by Uffilation on topic Leash attachment point
Hi,
I use this setup as I found it easier (for me) for cowboy straddle remounts:

tcsurfski.com/2013/09/23/surfski-leash/

attached to the foot plate and pfd as I had problems with remounting this way using the short calf leash.

Also works with your favoured side saddle remount of course.

However, I am not an Ocean/surf/offshore paddler, so I have no idea how the Pros here who paddle in tougher conditions would evaluate this setup.

I use large carabiners for easier (emergency) handling with cold fingers, see pic below;

"at footstrap" means with a loop around footstrap and(!) footplate

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Uffilation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #26540 by ShaneS
Replied by ShaneS on topic Leash attachment point
Hi Seajack

Although pretty amateurish, here's a little video of a side-saddle remount on a Stellar SR ski using a calf leash.

Yeah it can get a little tangled, but once onboard with your legs hanging over the sides its not too hard to sort out. Use one of the coiling leashes and they don't get as badly tangled as a line type leash. Worst case is the leash is wrapped around the ski, in which case there's no option but roll the ski over while treading water.

Hey you're in a nice part of the world there, hope you're getting to enjoy it. :-)

Fenn Swordfish S Carbon Hybrid - 2016
Fenn Elite S Carbon - 2016
Stellar SR Excel - 2015
Cobra Expedition - 2013

More
7 years 8 months ago #26550 by seajak
Replied by seajak on topic Leash attachment point
Hi Shane,

Thank you very much for the video, that certainly makes it look simpler than I imagined. I am currently trying to train for some flat water races and haven't had a chance to practice my remounts but will make some time in a week or so.

It certainly is a nice part of the world. I moved up here from Sydney at the beginning of the year and am finally 'living the dream' :) .

cheers,
clay

Latest Forum Topics