Jamming a rudder

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18699 by stephenchrisolivier
Jamming a rudder was created by stephenchrisolivier
Typing this post-op, looking from by bed at the beach and sea in front of the house. Wish I could paddle, so I'll do the next best thing and talk about it.

I'm experienced (e.g. PE to East London) but now live in Scotland and ALWAYS paddle alone, sometimes for long distances and far from shore. Getting older, I'm more safety conscious, and now wear a PFD, paddle leash, and often carry a VHF (previously only a speedo!)

But, stuff happens, and does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do if in an emergency I need to jam a disabled rudder in place?

PS - I'm in the RNLI, and after our involvement in a recent rescue here involving some jetski guys, I will carry a pea-less whistle from now on as well

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18701 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Jamming a rudder
A PLB would be something I would invest in, I will invest in when I get back to paddling in the sea. PLB

On the actual question Kayaker Greg had a good guide here: Link

If that doesnt work for you essentially it is a length of bungy/elastic cord that can be hooked over the stern and tied to one of the actuator arms of the rudder. If you snap one line you can use the bungy to pull the rudder one way, and use the remaining line to push back the other if that makes sense.....

Some cord to tie the rudder fixed may also be of use.

There is a bit here www.surfski.info/getting-started/tips-ot...rescue-exercise.html about an exercise trying to jam the rudder, so if you head down that route it would pay to practice your solution.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sAsLEX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18702 by stephenchrisolivier
Replied by stephenchrisolivier on topic Jamming a rudder
Thanks for the reply. Don't think that will work for me, as what I think you mean by 'actuator arms' aren't accessible. BTW, the link you posted seems to have expired? Wonder if there is some sort of quick setting waterproof putty that might jam it...

More
10 years 6 months ago #18703 by sAsLEX

I hope KG doesn't mind but here they are:

And:Emergency rudder repair system for broken cable, simple 4mm elastic loop needs to be attached to same side as good cable, can then steer with one foot. Enough tension is needed to pull the pedal back when foot pressure is released to enable steering left and right.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayaker Greg

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18704 by stephenchrisolivier
Thanks a lot

More
10 years 6 months ago #18705 by Ric
Replied by Ric on topic Jamming a rudder
That's a real useful tip.

Even more so considering I always use my paddle leash, made from bungy just like that - it could be rigged up in an emergency quite easily.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18706 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Jamming a rudder
Thanks Alex. The link works but you need to have a Face Book account but Alex has posted the pictures here anyway, I need to learn how to do that.

I have the bungy cord premade ready to go if I ever need it, don't need to be shagging around out there. I keep it looped in front of my foot pedals. It needs to be the right length etc so prepare it before you need it would be my advice. My Stellars have a quick access hatch that can be removed on the water. My Swordfish needs a screw driver to remove the hatch cover, not so convenient so need to come up with a solution for that still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stephenchrisolivier

More
10 years 6 months ago #18707 by sAsLEX

Kayaker Greg wrote: My Swordfish needs a screw driver to remove the hatch cover, not so convenient so need to come up with a solution for that still.

www.edlfast.co.nz/portals/edl-store/cata...rews/index.html#47/z something like that with a bit of loctite to keep it tight

More
10 years 6 months ago #18708 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Jamming a rudder
I usually carry 6 metres of 2 mm spectra in my pfd. You just wedge that under the rudder's leading edge and let it trail out the back of the boat. Works in an emergency.
Can also tie it straight from the pedals to the rudder as a makeshift rudder line. Good for towing a mates boat if they get separated. If Bear Grylls paddled, he'd have a piece of rope handy.

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18713 by stephenchrisolivier
Ah, if Bear Grylls paddled, which boat would it be?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18716 by Draftbuster
Replied by Draftbuster on topic Jamming a rudder
If Bear Grylls paddled. He would paddle the ski that Chuck Norris told him to. :!
Silly.
After KG put this post up originally I too carry a cord for this reason.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18717 by Kayaker Greg

sAsLEX wrote:

Kayaker Greg wrote: My Swordfish needs a screw driver to remove the hatch cover, not so convenient so need to come up with a solution for that still.

www.edlfast.co.nz/portals/edl-store/cata...rews/index.html#47/z something like that with a bit of loctite to keep it tight

Rather than a wing nut I was thinking something like one of those screws with a flat head screwdriver option plus a fold over wire type thing that can be lifted for removal, not sure what they are called?

• stephenchrisolivier
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18724 by stephenchrisolivier
Will be carrying a cord in future too. I paddle a Fenn Mako XT here, because even in the summer ( andI paddle all year round) you do NOT want to fall in - very cold!

More
10 years 6 months ago #18725 by Carcharodon
Replied by Carcharodon on topic Jamming a rudder

Dicko wrote: If Bear Grylls paddled, he'd have a piece of rope handy.

Nah he would find a dead seal floating nearby, cut its skin into strips and use that

More
10 years 6 months ago #18729 by Kayaker Greg
Problem solved with the access on the Fenns, looking at my Swordfish yesterday I found I could get my fingernails under the edge of the cover and swivel it to the side around the mountng screw if needed for access in an emergency.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18731 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Jamming a rudder
I just leave the cover off on my Swordfish.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18732 by Kayaker Greg
To me thats like leaving your fly open in case you want to take a piss. :laugh: And just as ugly looking.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18733 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Jamming a rudder
Damn, my fly open again? Got to be check that more often!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18793 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Jamming a rudder
I carry a plastic toilet wedge or shim. Can be stored in PFD, taped in cockpit, stored in rudder housing etc. Real cheap so get a few.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Fath2o. Reason: edit

Latest Forum Topics