new speed/drag comparison

More
13 years 6 months ago #5492 by bepe
How about putting the same paddler in a number of different kayaks/surfskis,towing it up to maybe 15kph confirmed by gps,releasing the towrope and seeing how lonbg and how far it takes for tghe vessel to stop. Sure there are variables but it could be inbteresting
g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #5496 by Rightarmbad
1 GPS makes no allowance for current or wind.
2 Boat run will depend on size of paddler, one boat may be better for bigger or smaller paddler.
3 Takes a bloody long time to make several runs of several boats.
4 Does not take into account the dynamic of a moving paddler and paddle induced boat movement.

It's already known that most top end skis are pretty close to each other already.
I think that you would find that the noise in you test may be greater than difference in the skis.......

But wouldn't hurt to try I suppose.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 6 months ago #5499 by bepe
Replied by bepe on topic Re: new speed/drag comparison
Valid comments but i would like to see a comparison not of the top end skis but a number of different types including plastic ones.
They do have a thing called lakes which to the best of my knowledge are current free and not all days are windy by the way.
as far as the dynamics sure I agree but is any test perfect?

as far as time is concerned.......you forget the fun factor.
But you do make valid pointss
B

More
13 years 6 months ago #5501 by AndrewN
I'd be interested to see this...

More
13 years 6 months ago #5504 by AR_convert
not a bad idea at all. we have champion lakes here in WA, a manmade lake for paddling with a rowing course, that would be ideal, but alas finding day without wind here in WA is challenging

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #5506 by bepe
Replied by bepe on topic Re:new speed/drag comparison
Hmmm. Wind. Well this would be an estimation at best and not a definitive test......put in the disclaimer of course LOL.

Now for the technical part.

I'd also like to see how the resistance/effort/energy expent if you will varies with speed.

I use an endorfinn and notice above 6kph or so the effort required to cruise decreases. I always wonder what the maximum economical speed id if you well. I understand that in a resistance sport situation the speed vs resistance is more exponential than linear but I'd like to know at roughly what speed I am expending "too much" energy due to hull resistance I guess.
G

More
13 years 6 months ago #5510 by Rightarmbad
For sure, our six and a half meter boats are not as efficient at lower speeds than their shorter counterparts.

Every hull is designed to be efficient in the predicted speed range it will be operating in.

That's why it is pretty useless to put a beginner women and small men in a full size sea kayak.
More weight than need be and the hull is made to be best at a cruising speed in excess of what they are capable off.

It may also be a little bit of the reasoning behind the new Epic V8.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 6 months ago #5516 by bepe
Now I got it.
The key phrase is efficientcy at the cruising speed I am capable of.
For now my endorfinn is the go. I do own a spirit race ski which requires less effort but still come to grips with the stability.......not a fan of onshore wind in Pt. Phillip Bay or the powerboat wakes at Patterson Lakes.
Thanks insight.
G

More
13 years 6 months ago #5519 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re:new speed/drag comparison
The information you'd get from the drag and glide test would be a sum of the ski's efficiency at each point on the curve of decreasing speeds. The data might be interesting but I'm not sure if it would tell us anything worthwhile at all. Like you said above, we're mainly interested in total drag with our weight at the certain speed that we race on flatwater. Total drag in rough water would be much more complicated to measure. Erik

More
13 years 6 months ago #5520 by bepe
Thanks for your responses. I have a better insight as to what speed to aim for and not try to exceed.
G

More
13 years 6 months ago #5521 by AR_convert
Trying to think of a not so technical way to measure drag while being towed at a certain speed.

How about a set of hanging scales (like they hang fish on) set-up between the tow craft and the ski, the drag would be measured in kg, would this be accurate enough?

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #5523 by Rightarmbad
Simplest way is to mount an accelerometer and paddle up to speed, stop paddling in each craft and compare the slope as it slows down.

I have an accelerometer app on my iPhone.

Or you could use one of these that I found last night whilst hunting for new paddles.

Cool device, I want one.

I downloaded the software and have been having a play with it with some provided files of some European paddler.
Don't know how much it is worth yet.
But it mounts to the craft, so is not paddle dependent, gives;

cadence
acceleration in three planes
speed

It can overlay graphs with each other and sync to a video and google earth for in depth paddling analysis.
Has cool things like relationships between variables like speed to cadence,

I want!

More
13 years 6 months ago #5543 by bepe
Polar makes a footpod which is also an accelerometer. I am trying to get a hold of them to see if there is a chance that will work for out purpose
g

Latest Forum Topics