Mounting items onto composite kayaks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4488 by Zarb
I am in the process of mounting some items onto my Adventure racing kayak. Is there any special processes I need to follow when doing this?

The items I am mounting are a deck compass, map board, GPS mount, and a bungee system on the back for cargo.

The kayak is Kevlar composite.

I do not want to attack it with a drill before asking for advice! I am assuming drill the holes, mount the items, then seal up the gaps with a sealant?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4492 by latman
As long as there is good surface area there should be no problem mouting items to the deck of your kevlar boat , Make sure you have a decent sized washer on the inside (and make sure that washer/bolt) does not interfere with your knees/shins/feet. If your adventure racing kayak is really a ski I would put a hatch in the top front of the footwell so you can hold a bolt/washer on the inside . Use stainless/nylocs and don't worry about a sealant IMO
ps do you really need all those things? like map/compass and bungee? If it is a kayak you can put cargo inside and the GPS should obsolete the compass and a map. cheers Ian

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4493 by latman
oops double post
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by latman.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4495 by Zarb
Its a multisport kayak (Sisson Evo), so there is not much room to fit cargo inside. It is not a sea kayak.

As for the compass/mapboard/gps, the gps mount I am referring to is just a mount for a Garmin to track distance/speed for training. However you are not allowed to use GPS of any kind during the event, thus the compass.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4497 by aracer
Zarb wrote:

Its a multisport kayak (Sisson Evo), so there is not much room to fit cargo inside.

You can get far more inside one of those than you'd want to bungee onto the deck - at least unless they've changed hugely since I had one. You don't need to have hatches and bulkheads to carry stuff in a boat - dry bags work just fine (in fact I've done adventure races in a sea kayak without bulkheads and carried stuff in exactly that way).

Latest Forum Topics