Is it time for a new shootout?

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #2386 by superted
I am sure many readers would find a review of several comparible weight popular ski's going head to head interesting, as well as a valuable reference point. The review to be done by a panel of several paddlers of different abilities (including an elite and a "lucky bastard" ) with measurable and opinion based criteria.

For instance a 10-12kg class of skis with the Mako Elite vs V10 Ultra vs Red7Pro vs Think Legend vs Huki SX1.

Similar to this old review www.surfski.info/content/view/202/38/ but to include things like a small rough water "test" course, as well as build quality/finish details.
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by superted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Franklin
  • Visitor
15 years 8 months ago #2387 by Franklin
Replied by Franklin on topic Re:Is it time for a new shootout?
That's a great idea! Included in the "go fast boats", would you please include the Mako 6 and S1X Special. If not too much trouble would you include the intermediate boats as well; Guevara, Rookie, V10 Sport, Evo, S1R and the XT!
Can't wait
Thank you in advance
Franklin

More
15 years 8 months ago #2388 by superted
Franklin, Robs original shootout had 7 skis. You could do the elite ski's with a controlled ski like a V10Sport. At a later date the controlled ski could be used in an intermediate shootout.

The more skis,, means more paddlers and more controlled runs to get averages. Time would start to be an issue.

More
15 years 8 months ago #2392 by John Sanderson
Hi Guys

Yes please for all of the sugestions.

Two categories would be ideal i.e. the elite and the intemediates. It would be good to make sure that some of the tests are carried out buy the 'average' paddler.

Cheers
John

More
15 years 8 months ago #2395 by cvh
Sounds awesome! How about adding Custom Kayak's new Synergy to the slug-fest?

Rob - you could get a real good/fun compo going to select your Mr/Ms Joe Average test paddler. Think most guys would jump at the chance to test all the lastest toys and to be part of the review.

More
15 years 8 months ago #2398 by superted
cvh wrote:

Rob - you could get a real good/fun compo going to select your Mr/Ms Joe Average test paddler. Think most guys would jump at the chance to test all the lastest toys and to be part of the review.

Thats the "lucky bastard" i was referring too previously. That term is pinched from a popular car magazine over here who do have competition to chose the lucky bastard that goes on to the car shootout with a panel of car journos and a pro driver.

More
15 years 7 months ago #2399 by garykroukamp
I volunteer to be the "lucky bastard". Already am one of these... Now I just need to be lucky too.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3233 by Boof Head
Could somebody define a "lucky Bastard"/ mr. Joe Average surf ski paddler please?

I suspect that I am one if only at the bottom end of the scale. I paddle alone (Surf70) and come from a sea kayak background so would love to know what I am.

My main passion is snow skiing and there are no end of ability charts around to define skill level e.g. www.whistlerblackcomb.com/rentals/school/ability_ski.htm

So maybe somebody in the know could knock up a similar style ability chart for ski paddlers. Just a thought.

More
14 years 11 months ago - 14 years 11 months ago #3241 by Shaun
This is the closest thing that I could think of for an ability chart, even though it is more of a guess for an average speed for an average paddler:

www.surfski.info/component/option,com_fi...ew/id,2928/catid,15/

Edit: posting that link didn't work very well, there is a post called "What is a normal speed" under the "Tips" section of the general forum. That was what I was hoping to link.

While not nearly as good as the chart you have for snow, it might be of a little bit of help until someone smarter than me can point you in the right direction. If nothing exists, I think it would be nice if someone came up with something similar for surfski.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Shaun.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3242 by postal256
maybe it's possible for Rob to make an anonymous poll for surfski.info users to enter speeds over distance. Like have multiple distances and you enter your typical speed when going fast over that distance (ranging from sprint distances to marathon), all flatwater (no current) speeds, as it's hard to compare speeds to someone doing huge downwind runs all the time. Could be a useful motivation for paddlers who see their current speed falls in a low percentile. there are lots of variables, so it may not be that useful a poll, but could at least show general ranges.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3243 by Boof Head
i had read that post which was helpful. I get along at about 11km/hr so I knew that I was average for flatwater paddling. I was thinking more along the lines of ability for surf exit/re-entry, handling of downwind/upwind conditions, stroke technique, riding waves, etc. , remounting and possibly any other skills associated with paddling a ski.

as a noob its's nice to know what skills to develop although i've solved the problem by getting some coaching. Money well spent.

More
14 years 11 months ago #3244 by onnopaddle
A place to write in your times and compare to others posts.

virtualrace.fit2paddle.com/

aloha,
pog

More
13 years 11 months ago #4455 by Nicho03
Would there be any point adding the Custom Kayak Synergy? Would it be durable enough? Mine got trashed by a massive 1.5, yes 1.5 metre wave landing on it and part of the manufacturers response was that the ski ..."was purchased second hand and is now about a year and a half old. We have no idea what has transpired during its previous ownership. The ski could well have been traumatized on or off the water creating a potential weakness internally. For a ski with no repairs and no scratches would you pay >$3000 AUD with that kind of durability?

More
13 years 11 months ago #4460 by Nicho03
Since posting to the thread I have been contacted by the manufacturer of the Synergy who states that he has been misquoted and did not infer that 1.5 yrs was acceptable at any time. With this I want to make it clear that he never actually said this and it wasn't intended as a quote but merely my own inference. Some of his companies skis have been in competition for more than 10 years and this is an isolated incident. Which is most obviously apparent by the fact that his skis are sold all over the world by some very capable paddlers.He also stated that he is very busy at the moment with business and racing commitments and I had not given he enough time to look into the whole matter.

Latest Forum Topics