Surfski for Coolangatta Gold

More
4 years 8 months ago #34951 by MIW
Hi Surfski paddlers

In Denmark we are 3 athleetes that are preparing for the Coolangatta Gold 2019. We don´t now of other "wikings" that have participated in the race and are looking for advise on where to hire a surfski for the race since we can´t get our own on the plane.

In general tips and experience from the Coolangatta is higly appriciated. We know we are up for a challenge and try to prepared the best possible.

Best greetings and wishes for good wind and waves.

Kind Regards
Michael Iwersen 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #34956 by [email protected]
Hey Michael,

I dropped a note to Mick Herden - here's his reply.

Mick Herden <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>1:11 AM (7 hours ago)to me
Hi Rob, Thanks for getting in touch, I normally have a few spec skis (Fenn LS)for hire for the the Gold , but due to the Fenn factory incident there is a shortage of available skis for hire & even for sale at the moment . I am currently trying to get some skis together & make them available for that weekend . I have other skis available if you are doing the ‘mates race’ division. But watch our social media pages for any updates as we proceed. 
Regards Mick Paddler HQ

So it's probably worth giving him a shout anyway.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MIW

More
4 years 8 months ago #34964 by swifty
Replied by swifty on topic Surfski for Coolangatta Gold
Well done on the effort of coming all the way to the Gold Coast for the Gold - that's huge.
I would suggest emailing each of the Surf Life Saving Clubs on the GC, tell them your story and you might be surprised with what you'll get back as it's a good story to tell for their members and local media.
Start with the list of clubs from here, start from Kingscliff in the south and go right up to Southport:

bit.ly/2L1Pbeb

and email them via their respective contact pages. Just to complicate things make sure you look for a separate "Surf Sports" or Surf Club" contact as opposed to a "Supporters Club" if there is one (maybe not, and that makes it easier) as the Supporters Club may only have information about restaurant bookings, entertainment etc. The good clubs will forward it on any way.

Good luck

More
4 years 8 months ago #34974 by MIW
Replied by MIW on topic Surfski for Coolangatta Gold
Hi Rob

Thank you. I will write to Mick and see.

Kind regards
Michael

More
4 years 8 months ago #34975 by MIW
Replied by MIW on topic Surfski for Coolangatta Gold
Hi Swifty.
Thank you for the advise. I will give the GoldCoast clubs a go. This could also be a change to see the clubculture and get inspiration. In Denmark we hope to get more people in surfski and lifesaving.

Thank you for helping.

Kind regards
Michael

More
4 years 8 months ago #34978 by [email protected]
(And sorry for the delay in moderating your replies, Michael...

The only way of preventing spam getting on the forum is to moderate the first couple of messages from new members...  We've just had a couple of attacks from "link builders", "support" companies and people wanting to sell essays to university students.  Crazy stuff.

Anyway - you're in the clear now so any messages you post in future will appear immediately!)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 3 months ago #35877 by AD108
Replied by AD108 on topic Surfski for Coolangatta Gold
Surfski hire Gold Coast? Hi, Andrew from Cape Town here. I'm coming to the Gold Coast for a holiday and to visit family in Coolangatta in March. Looking to get in some paddling if possible- anything from downwind to flat paddling. Happy to drive up to 45min to get to a place I can paddle from. Is it possible to rent a surfski on the Gold coast? Alternatively, if anyone is up for lending me a ski I can pay it back by lending out one of my ski's when they're in Cape Town (currently have a Swordfish S Hybrid, Epic v10 Ultra, Carbonology Flash and Fenn Elite)- maybe someone planning on doing the Freedom Paddle race in Cape Town in April (I have storage for my skis at the start location).I have been paddling on the ocean for about 8 years.
Did MIW on this thread manage to get a ski, and if so from who- thread doesn't say? I have emailed Mick.Cheers

Latest Forum Topics