Paddling Injuries

More
17 years 2 months ago #138 by Fearless
Paddling Injuries was created by Fearless
Hi guys, what about a topic on paddling related injuries?

I for one have been suffering from tennis/ mouse elbow. I suspect that paddling style (or lack there of) probably aggravates this. Does anyone have experience treating or mitigating these sorts repetitive strain injuries of the elbows, or tips on key aspects of paddling stroke to work on?

Cheers....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #139 by Pistol
Replied by Pistol on topic Re: Paddling Injuries
I have exactly the same problem. I have just got back into paddling after many years off and I have developed tennis elbow in the right elbow and golfers elbow in the left. I have been to the physiotherapist and he has given me exercises to do but sometimes the elbows are just too painful for me to be able to do them. I have tried anti-inflamatories without success. From what I can figure out, the only way to get better is to stop paddling, but I have a race in April that I need to be fit for. Strange thing is that the elbows are reasonably OK when paddling, it just hurts afterwards and I cant do a proper gym session. Would love to hear if anyone has had this problem and has fixed it.

More
17 years 2 months ago #140 by Stan K
Replied by Stan K on topic Re: Paddling Injuries
Hmm i think you should seriously lay off the tennis and golf ;-)

"If you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" -Nietsche

More
17 years 2 months ago #141 by Guy
Replied by Guy on topic Re: Paddling Injuries
I have the same problem in my left elbow and have been for three sessions at the physio. Highly recommend Nikki Akermann in the ABSA Centre in Cape Town. The elbow is still stiff but a lot better, though I should probably be resting it even more than I have (that can wait till winter). I've also changed my stroke to concentrate more on shoulders and body rather than arms (and especially elbows).

Latest Forum Topics