The fast surfski on flat water

More
11 years 6 months ago #13334 by slim white
I am planning to use a surfski on flat water. Which one is the fastest with enough stability to paddle as in a race kayak stile.
I have several options: Think evo glass. Zedtech Dominator or Dominator XL , Think Legend, Fenn xt, Fenn swordfish.
Other question somebody could compare a surfski with a initiation K1 in stability and speed.I normally use a initiation K1.

When you get what you want you don´t want what you get

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13339 by AR_convert
Not much to work with speed wise there, don't know about the zedtech boats but the rest are novice to intermediate skis. XT would probably be the slower more stable. You could throw a blanket over the Legend, Swordfish and Evo.

Pity you don't have access to a Carbonology Atom, that has to be the fastest flat water ski going around, and more stable than K1's.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13342 by red_pepper
I've been racing surf skis on flat water, and as noted the boats you mentioned are intermediate level skis. If you have the stability skills, you'll do better in boats like the Think Uno Max, Epic V12, Stellar SE/SEL/SES, Fenn Elite, and Carbonology Atom (Nelo makes some fast skis as well). I've been racing a Stellar SE lately and really liking it.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13343 by cheeseman
I had a v12 ultra, sold it for the stellar SEL exel.Stable and fast.Good for all paddling .

More
11 years 6 months ago #13347 by Kayaker Greg
Recently got myself the Stellar SEL to compliment my SES, have to say I'm amazed at how much this ski has improved my paddling, in conditions where I'm bracing and looking for somewhere more sheltered to paddle my SES, I'm out there relaxed and having a blast in the SEL, wind, side chop, nothing has fazed me yet, I love this ski!

More
11 years 6 months ago #13348 by cheeseman
Did a 38 kn down wind run in busselton, and had no problems.Very stable .

More
11 years 6 months ago #13350 by AR_convert
Starting to get off topic :ohmy: but ;) isn't the Stellar SEL the same hull but a lower volume SE ( ie, like the V10 versus V10L)

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #13352 by cheeseman
Has a beam off 44 and length6.55

More
11 years 6 months ago #13353 by slim white
Thank you very much to everybody.You are right, probably I need a more radical ss to be fast. But I have not any idea about what level of stability have this ss. If I have not enough stability in a fast ss I shall not be able to paddled efficiently.How far is the stability on flat water between a Fenn XT and a epic 12?
My experience, as I said before, is limited to reversals sea kayaks and my actual Tahe wind 585 and an initiation k1. I must advise to this kind audience that I am only 76 years old with a big heart but with my muscles gone in the past.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13354 by cheeseman
Foget the epic v12 -go for the xt or v10 sport .

More
11 years 6 months ago #13360 by slim white
I shall follow your recommendations. I must to check personally but this is a useful start-point. Thank you all friends. I am honestly jealous of your wealthy youth.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13361 by YBA/Jim Murray
slim white, I am contemplating a holiday in Barcelona.is it possible to rent a ski there? Oh, and my engine is not a lot younger than yours. Would you contact me at DJM1944AT.GMAIL.COM

More
11 years 6 months ago #13362 by slim white
Hello Jim,Has been impossible to use your email the system refuse the address.Anyhow, tell me when are you planning to be in Barcelona to see first if I shall be in the date.By the moment is not possible to rent a surfski, because is a new sport without enough paddlers, but I have friends that probably can let you one for one excursion in a weekend

More
11 years 6 months ago #13368 by Wally
Hi,
I would suggest an Epic V8, you will have no problem with balance and it will be faster than your sea kayak. It is also comparable to a XT the Epic Sport is a bit quicker than both of those skis.
When you get older things tend to happen, balance is one of those things that seem to go astray, that is why I suggest a V8, you will love me for this advice for many years to come.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13384 by slim white
Hello kits, today at 17 hours I check the Think Evo in a very windy day, without any problem in the Olympic Channel in Barcelona. Very similar to my Struer initiative K1, but with more intuitive secondary stability that allows to paddle without any problem in cross winds and lateral waves that it plains like a lever truck.
Now to study with more information and experience what I must choose a Surfski not to much radical, in order to try on sea with certain guaranties of success and to protect my used body.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13412 by owenw
The longest/skinniest/lightest ski you comfortably handle is going to be the quickest. For me it is an "Intermediate" type - I have a Stellar SR now as my previous skinny ski was simply beyond my comfort/ability in any sort of "beyond calm" conditions. However, if you can handle a K1, any of the high performance skis would be OK for you, especially on flat water.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
11 years 6 months ago #13413 by slim white
Thank you Owenw, I am thinking which one will be best, if Think Legend, Zetech dominator or Zedthec Griffin.
If I found same difficulties as to improve in my K1 level I shall look to find the stablest one.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14245 by slim white
Doubts: I have check my actual Tahe wind 585 against a V10 Sport and I can confirm that My Tahe is faster,more comfortable,warm in cool weather and surfing more or less equal.We have interchange boats to not misunderstand results. So, I am doubting if would be convenient to change my Tahe wind 585 for a surfski. When I normally sail without problems I am seen my friends swimming frequently and doubts come easy to my mind.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14253 by owenw

slim white wrote: have check my actual Tahe wind 585 against a V10 Sport and I can confirm that My Tahe is faster,

Mate, I'm also an old fart and come from a background of sea kayaking. I can assure you no sea kayak is quicker than any of the Intermediate skis. I still have several sea kayaks and continue to regularly paddle them. Only yesterday I had extensive paddles in the open waters off Broken Bay (Sydney) in the two fastest sea kayaks available, the Rockpool Taran and the Tiderace Pace (both significantly quicker than the Tahe)and can promise you that on all points of paddling (up wind, cross or down) my Stellar SR (similar performance to a V10S) would flog them.

Life truly lived is full of risk; to fence out risk is to fence out life itself

More
11 years 4 months ago #14254 by slim white
Any of the kayaks that you mention are absolutely no quicker than the Tahe wind 585. I can assure you that easily I can wind any of then in flat water and on down-winds too. Also V10 sport is slower. V12 and Sipre Vortex are faster than my Tahe wind 585, but their stability is only acceptable in flat water for my skills.

Latest Forum Topics