suggestion

More
17 years 2 months ago #115 by AlanC
suggestion was created by AlanC
Hi Alain and Rob,

How about local forum for CANADA to build awareness of the international surfski community?

Alan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• admin
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago #116 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: suggestion
Hi Alan,

Good idea, I have created the board for Canada. I keep getting surprised by the surfski enthusiasm from Canada. I think of Canada as more of a snow-skiing type country. I've got to visit your part of the world soon and correct my mental picture of your country.

Thanks for your contributions...

More
17 years 2 months ago #117 by AlanC
Replied by AlanC on topic Re: suggestion
Cheers!

Surfski is growing fast here on the west coast of Canada where winters are mild and we have more coast line than we know what to do with. The rest of Canada is often in a cold, snowy winter from November (or earlier) to March (or later).

With a strong flatwater club system across the country led by Canoe Kayak Canada ( www.canoekayak.ca/ ), surfski is a natural progression for many paddlers who are sprint paddlers looking to add more variety into their training.

Not many downwind events yet, but more and more races on the calendar each season. One of the more spectacular downwind runs we have is called the Howe Sound Downwind Challenge. It runs up an inland fjord world famous for windsurfing and it finishes in Squamish BC. Good wind, hot summers, strong currents and amazing scenery.
We have a local series every Tuesday evening and it has grown from 10-15 boats in a mix of surfskis, sea kayaks and flatwater kayaks to over 100 boats on a warm summer evening.

Many surfski paddlers are cross-country skiers in the winter when it is not much fun to paddle. The two sports are very similar in many ways; energy system requirements, the importance of technique, variable environment, socio-cultural values.

In Vancouver you can ski in the morning and paddle your surfski in the afternoon.

Alan & all the other Canadian surfski paddler

Latest Forum Topics