Salt festival - Kingscliff

More
13 years 10 months ago #4502 by Pete
Just wondering if anyone went down and did the down wind, have heard no reports so was thinking the $70.00 then $85.00 ( late ) entry fee for 30k`s was a bit much.

I myself free paddled 30km in 20-25knts, with 5 other like minded paddlers and had a blast.

Any feedback as it would have been worth going if they were not either trying to make a fortune, paying big prize money ( which I couldnt see ) or the fee`s paid for the entertainment.

I hope Trevor Hendy reads this as as a water man he should appreciate that we dont have to pay to paddle anywhere.

Love to hear what happened as papers or google came to nothing.

Hope its on next year as we need some good events at the right price.

P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #4504 by rambo
Sorry you feel that way Pete about the entry fee but it did include 2 days of entertainment, bands at nite, some free food and all the good vibes you can handle hanging out with some fantastic waterman.

Dean Gardiner won the ski race, Shannon Eckstein 2nd, Ben Allen 3rd

The conditions for the last 10k were awesome.

Molokai Paddleboard Champ Jamie Mitchell won the prone race and beat all the SUPs and relays and some of the outriggers.

Here's a short video clip i shot of Jamie catching one of the many runners. We had a hard job keeping up with him on a jet ski.

vimeo.com/11616680

Full video of the complete event is being edited as i write and a awesome Festival it was too.

Cheers Rambo

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #4505 by swear bear
Just a correction on the results Rambo, Nathan Day from Sunshine Coast was 3rd, Ben Allen 4th.
Interested to hear peoples thoughts on what an acceptable race entry fee is? I have no idea what costs are involved to run a race, this may add to the cost of entry.
Interestingly, we dont have many races on the coast and when there is one, not many support it.....
Dean really gave a lesson out there on catching runs, awesome to watch, will be a favourite for Molokai should the conditions suit!
Cheers, Bear
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by swear bear.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #4506 by tony h
did the 10km ocean ski at festival.......best downwind i have experienced!!
well organised with lots of interest for whole family.
paddle had staggered start so lots of company on the paddle with ample support craft for those that had any trouble!
it was excellently organised & i would pay alot more than $70 for that sort of thrilling experience.
just consider molokai costs: entry fee US$325 to 425(late entry) plus US$500 for support boat.
it was a privilege to be in the water saturday watching the likes of dean gardiner paddling past on the same waves.
only disappointment, was that so few paddlers supported the event.
that sort of fun is cheap at the price..............
results on website today evidently: www.thesaltwaterfestival.com/home

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by tony h. Reason: addition

More
13 years 10 months ago #4507 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Re:Salt festival - Kingscliff
I dont wont to upset or insult anyone, but in future can someone use their brain and advertise upcoming ski races a little better. That way more people will know about the event and turn up. Why do I seem to have the sh%ts about this? I just spent the past week and a half up at Tweed Heads paddling everyday (from Sydney). Somedays had the best down wind conditions and couldn't get the smile off my face. However I now find out this event was on when I was up there. If I knew about it I would have been there and I'm sure other paddlers would have turned up if they knew about this event. Thanks Rob

More
13 years 10 months ago #4508 by Pete
Replied by Pete on topic Re:Salt festival - Kingscliff
If you want to paddle 10 km with champions I will save you $65.00, once a month Currumbin alley, some of the best in Australia turn up, $5 or free depending how they feel I think.

My point is this is not Molakai its a start up event that would have gained more local support if it wasnt so expensive.

There is no argument it was excellant conditions, because we were out there too, take away the tshirt and sponser packs and just paddle, this is what happened to triathalons, entry fee`s just went up and up - it takes away from a sport I think.

Anyway its only my opinion as I am happy to paddle from anywhere in the right conditions, I dont need a banner, food or entertainment when I pull up.

Sunshine Coast and Currumbin Paddlers club have it right and the bigger events need to look at costs, I may be wrong but even 20 beaches isnt $70.00/$85 on the day and thats a amazing race.

In regard to promotions I really felt for them as I couldnt find anything on the news or local paper and it was a hard site to find I kept going in through the forum on sea breeze.

I would love to do it next year if they say get it to $40-50.

Cheers

Pete

More
13 years 10 months ago #4509 by rambo
Replied by rambo on topic Re:Salt festival - Kingscliff
Thanks for the correction Bear, i was going from memory.

Actually i was 2nd over the line overall and had to explain to the spectators cheering me on as i past through the arch, i was just the cameraman and 20kg camera with wobbly legs from running up the beach..hahahha ...and it was a dang long run too.

R

More
13 years 10 months ago #4510 by Rightarmbad
I agree, I live on the coast and never knew it was on.
I also agree that for locals that entry is a bit much.
Much better would have been to have the fee as it stands plus a cheaper race only fee for those that just want to race.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 10 months ago #4511 by AR_convert
Pete wrote:

take away the tshirt and sponser packs and just paddle, this is what happened to triathalons, entry fee`s just went up and up - it takes away from a sport I think.

Anyway its only my opinion as I am happy to paddle from anywhere in the right conditions, I dont need a banner, food or entertainment when I pull up.

Couldnt agree more, this years Busselton Half Ironman put the prices up with the excuse that they were including the post race party/meal, instead of selling tickets. The price $295 (individual)....as opposed the the Anaconda Adventure races $189 for a similar size/distance event that still gives out quite a lot but does away with a lot of the bells and whistles many dont care for.

I would compete in almost twice as many single discipline races (kayaking, cycling, running etc) if the amounts charged were reasonable, but I can't afford $50 or more for a 1-2 hour race.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #4523 by tony h
One of the elite paddlers from currumbin scene reminded me that one of the big costs in this era of liability concerns is supplying adequate Water Safety resources! The saltwater festival organisers did an excellent job in this regard. To grow this great sport we should consider the value in paying extra to keep the events safer. The top 10 paddlers are increasingly a smaller proportion of the field as the sport grows......... i am happy to pay a bit extra to keep us intermediate & beginner paddlers safer!! We have been reminded this year that unfortunately even elite paddlers can get into trouble.

ski's - McGregor C/R // Nelo 560L // Epic: 1st/2nd/3rdG V10/10L/10 sport, V14, V12, V8, V7, double -v10/v8 // Stellar: SES 1G/2G, SEI 2G // Fenn: double, elite SL, swordfish 1G/2G // Carbonology: vault, atom, flash //hayden spec ski / gibbons oc. ski / red7 / stealth spec/ocean ski / think legend
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by tony h. Reason: grammatical error

Latest Forum Topics