Western Australia wave spots

• Rossb
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34296 by Rossb
Western Australia wave spots was created by Rossb
Hi
I've just got back from walking the Cape to Cape in SW WA and couldn't help noticing the long lines of what looked like eminently surfable swell good for a surf ski along the coast around margaret river.  Are they any good for skis? If not where are the good breaks for surf skis in that part of the world?  
Ross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34300 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Western Australia wave spots
As I have always said, "it will always end in tears!". If you have an 18kg spec ski you might have a chance. A long light Molokai ski is a lottery, take your chances at your peril. 

I have repaired quite a few from down south, just don't destroy them completely otherwise I don't get the work! Two pieces preferable any more than three becomes unrepairable cost wise.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34302 by CrabStick
Guys who have wave surfing experience probably find reading and predicting swells coming over reefs fairly easy but for me it's an absolute minefield trying to get in good position to actually catch a good wave without getting into problems with breaking waves or hard unforgiving obstacles.
There's a spot just North of Gnarabup boat ramp, Margaret River region where some waves can be caught for long fast rides with right conditions BUT it is dangerous. You'd need to spend some hours there to case it out and preferably in a plastic ski or you'll be visiting Ranga (prepare for a lecture!) or the Emergency Department.
One hazard is obvious to most of you but not to noobs like I was 3 years ago. If you're ripping along on a wave with your nose in the trough, the water that was 2-3m deep when you paddled out is now maybe 20cm deep and the underlying jagged reef is vividly revealed to you as a blur of limestone, seaweed, and the shattered body parts of other inexperienced but adventurous paddlers. It's quite disconcerting and led me to realise I was out of my depth.

CrabStick, Perth Western Australia
Current Boats: Epic V9 ultra, Fenn Swordfish S, Fenn Spark S
Previous: Think Eze, Stellar SR, Carbonology Boost LV, Fenn BlueFin S

More
4 years 10 months ago #34304 by Ranga
Catching waves is great fun, even I binned it and had to repair my own ski! Caught a wave and ended up with dry land in front of me 3km out to sea. The best will get caught out.

• Rossb
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34310 by Rossb
Replied by Rossb on topic Western Australia wave spots
Thanks Ranga and Crabstick. I'll cross MR off my list. So where do I go in WA to catch waves that aren't shore break or downwind?
Ross 

• Rossb
  • Visitor
4 years 10 months ago #34315 by Rossb
Replied by Rossb on topic Western Australia wave spots
I took another look at my pics from the c2c and just had to ask: are the swells steep enough to launch the ski well b4 they start to feather and break?

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #34330 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Western Australia wave spots
Hi RossB, see below couple of local spots, happy to join you anytime (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). 
Called Cable Station, see also  Cable Station  and  Surf Forecast 

Closer to home for me up the coast is:

Looks like a long way out well it is 3kms however when it's pumping there's no wind to speak of just swell. And really only when you get out to the 5 fathom bank itself do you notice that. Both locations I've paddled double head high, both safe to a point. At Cable Station on a big 3m day breaking 400 m out I got cocky and went right in though didn't need to, closed out on me and got pummelled badly, had to be rescued by a surfer (pre pacemaker) as Mocke PFD had ridden up under chin and getting belted on the reef (my bad). At Little Island the swell really picks up however while daunting on a big day is a triangular break on a reef with soft shoulders into deep water and no consequences if you bail. There's always something out there Cape to Caper (good walk!).
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Watto.

More
4 years 10 months ago #34334 by Ranga
Repaired quite a few from those exact spots listed, Have fun surfing, will be waiting for you!

More
4 years 10 months ago #34338 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Western Australia wave spots
:)  All my boats have proudly carried your WC sticker as a badge of courage Ranga, no doubt my NK will too at some point. Maybe can't have adventure without occasional misadventure. 

More
2 years 8 months ago #38849 by Reavley
I'm not in Australia, so I can only guess about what I am sure locals know in depth. As always - seek out local knowledge.
Sand bars with waves?  Augusta River mouth looks promising:
Darryl Khng - Augusta River Mouth  (wave catching starts a little after 2 minutes)

Latest Forum Topics