Winter Paddling Gloves - Suggestions?

More
10 years 11 months ago #16356 by oceanwahine
The cooler weather is prompting me to seek some appropriate full finger gloves to keep me paddling through the winter.

I'd ideally like to find something that is full finger but still gives enough flexibilty to hold the paddle whilst keeping the warmth in and the windchill at bay.

Anyone have any suggestions on what is out there that would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Helen :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16357 by partymarty
Move to North Queensland!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: oceanwahine

More
10 years 11 months ago #16358 by oceanwahine
Thanks Marty!
I will keep that in mind for future job postings. :)
I must first however, survive a Sydney winter...my first in quite a few years..

More
10 years 11 months ago #16359 by partymarty
sorry - can't help you then. the old "move to north queensland" line is all I got when it comes to winter advice.

we actually look forward to winter up here so we can get back to paddling in just a pair of boardies. All summer I have to wear lycra leggings and a long sleeve rashy because of the stingers.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16360 by REDBEARD
Oceanwahine

Try a pair of Pogies.(I use solution pogies)
We use them in Canberra for winter paddling.
Very light, very warm, easy to use.
You cant go wrong. Everyone I know that uses them, love them.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16361 by Hawkesbury Classic
Even in the depths of a Sydney winter I dont need gloves. The water is generally warmer then the air. Its only whe the cold air blows on wet hands that it gets cold. I've seen a few people use pogies and even thought about using them myself.

111km marathon paddle overnight
26th - 27th October 2013
www.canoeclassic.as.au

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16364 by Kayaker Greg
Well I use gloves mainly to keep the sun of the hands not because of the cold and I prefer the NRS gloves, Expedition Kayaks should be able to help you out with these. Very comfortable, long lasting and great in winter and summer. Good grip too.

www.groovyoutdoors.com/ek/guide-gloves.jpg

www.groovyoutdoors.com/ek/ek.htm

The same gloves are available in a full finger but to be honest, although I have some I've never used them, the open finger are warm enough in winter and provide enough protection from the sun in summer.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16370 by Newbflat
Both pogies and gloves have there advantages and disadvantages. After spending years struggling with which one i like I have come to a compermise. Since I really like my bare hands on the shaft I use NRS Mamba pogies when it's flat out and the chance of me falling out or it would be quick to climb back in. There very warm and my hands stay toasty at 0°c easely. When it's tricker out and I might swim or are heading away from shore I use Glacier glover perfect curve gloves. There also very warm and fit very well with no hand fatigue. They are delicate though and require frequent touch ups with aquaseal. Still I really like them since there thin and fit so well. They let my hande dip in the water in chop and stay warm. These give me a pice of mind that I will still be able to use my fingers in case of an extended stay in the 7°c water. This is not the case with pogies. If I was somewhere where I was just trying to keep the chill off and wasn't worried about water being so cold to make my hands unless I would get some NRS HydroSkin Mambas and call it good. *tip*..... Don't get pogies with fleece lining, when they get wet they get heavy.

Bill .... Seattle.

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
10 years 11 months ago #16375 by zachhandler
Surfing gloves are great in the winter here (0 C water and air). I have these and they are perfect.

Current Skis: Epic v10 g3, NK 670 double, NK exrcize, Kai Wa’a Vega, Carbonology Feather, Think Jet, Knysna Sonic X
Former Skis: Epic V12 g2, Epic V12 g1, Epic v10 double, Nelo 550 g2, Fenn Elite S, Custom Kayaks Synergy

Latest Forum Topics