Boat repair advice

More
12 years 4 months ago #9234 by paddlehammo
Hi Folks,
Hope someone can point me the right direction.
I have somehow developed a crack in the bucket of my ski near the hip. It starts up top and is about two inches long. I had a friend fix it which looked great but the crack showed itself again after first paddle. I don't think it's too drastic but needs to be fixed.

Questions are:
will I have to cut a hole to access inside the boat to fix it properly or should I just use a much thicker fiberglass sheet and live with the eyesore? Am I opening myself up to a world of hurt trying to fix it from the inside and would it not end up making too much of a difference anyway.

Also, if we don't get the paint to the super smooth gloss it currently is will this have a noticeble effect on speed?

Appreciate it's hard to give advice on a job you can't see but was wondering if anybody has dealt with a similiar issue.

Thanks
Marcus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9238 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Re: Boat repair advice
Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It will cost bugger all more than doing it yourself. Post where you are and someone will give you the name of someone good.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9239 by paddlehammo
Replied by paddlehammo on topic Re: Boat repair advice
I'm in the Whitsundays, doubt anybody is in this area.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9240 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: Boat repair advice
I know bugger all about fixing ski's but I've heard that cracks can develop in the gel coat that doesn't necessarily mean there is any structural compromise.

Would be very informative to those who know about these things if you could post a picture.

There is some very seasoned paddlers down my way that have ski's with cracks all through them and they paddle them in big downwind conditions, so obviously they know which cracks need attention and which are cosmetic.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #9243 by paddlehammo
Replied by paddlehammo on topic Re: Boat repair advice
Here are a couple of pics. After hearing that this could be just a gel coat crack I might even leave it and see what happens.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by paddlehammo. Reason: add pic

More
12 years 4 months ago #9244 by Boof Head
Replied by Boof Head on topic Re: Boat repair advice
A sea kayak repairer shoud be able to do an invible repair on that crack. I have had both gel coat cracks and structural cracks repaired by a local kayak builder. Didn't cost much.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9246 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Boat repair advice
Problem is kevlar is flexible, gel coat isn't. Kevlar will also absorb water, you really want to get that repaired somehow. At the very very least, put some super tape over it to keep the water out. We have Norton Bear tape here that is super grippy and can even be used to repair holes in kayaks, temporarily. I did two weeks on a long trip with a hole in my sea kayak with the tape over it and it never leaked. My V10L also got damaged during the summer series earlier this year which left exposed kevlar, the tape sealed it up until the end of the series when I had time to get it repaired.

More
12 years 4 months ago #9247 by boss
Replied by boss on topic Re: Boat repair advice
give marty strecker a ring at XYLO blades/check on the net, I am sure he will have a contact in your area.Thats if he is still in mackay, i know there are lots of outriggers in the area that would have required repairing.

Regards

More
11 years 10 months ago #11585 by George
Replied by George on topic Re: Boat repair advice
Well, I am really searching for the about the boat repair and it's maintenance. Your services seems to be very good and I am so impressed by it Thanks

boat repair

More
11 years 10 months ago #11616 by latman
Replied by latman on topic Re: Boat repair advice
thanks for that bit of shit spam George ! (not)

Latest Forum Topics