upper lip wing paddle what's the use ??

More
12 years 5 months ago #8642 by marcolivert
Hi ,

Can anyone tell me what's the use of the upper lip for a wing paddle ?
Some blades have big ones, some others small ones. So I'm curious about this.

Thanks

Marco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #8644 by Kayaker Greg
Try this, sit stationary in your boat with your wing paddle, do not pull back at all, simply move the paddle out sideways away from the boat for a half dozen strokes each side, your boat will move forward. This is what a wing does, the shape of the wing creates a low pressure area on the top and a high pressure area on the bottom creating lift, or forward motion in the case of a wing paddle.
Without the lip the paddle would flutter when moving to the side, when moving backwards it would spill water on the wrong edge creating turbulence. That's my understanding off it anyway.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
12 years 5 months ago #8646 by Rightarmbad
The original wing paddles were a complete wing, as in a full aeroplane shape thing.
It was soon discovered that it could be made lighter without a loss in performance by simply leaving the back section off.

So what we are left with are the most important bits, the leading edge, whose depth and profile alter considerably the operation of the wing, and the rest of the blade with it's curved profile and width.

Much the same as a boat can have a transform without a real loss of it's overall profile.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

Latest Forum Topics