Are Nelo surfkis slower on flatwater ?

More
12 years 10 months ago #7068 by marcolivert
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a nelo surfski.
Does any one is using a nelo surfski ? Because couple of people told me this boat is a bit slower on flatwater compare to Epic V12 or fenn elite for instance.
It is like the slip is not the best ...

Thanks for your help.

I'm impatient to see a nelo surfski review on this website !

Marco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7078 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
For me the Nelo is fast, there is no resistance, I do not want to make comparative advertising, but I got the two other leading brands, and they are not as fast on the flat or in the surf; it's just my experience.

More
12 years 10 months ago #7079 by Nelo Surfski Tahiti
I'll be honest it is less stable than the two leaders .......... but it is a matter of habit, Nelo is for the elite

More
12 years 10 months ago #7090 by garykroukamp
I paddled the carbon Nelo as a once-off in Hout Bay in Cape Town last year on a 10 km race. Some proviso's- I am not an elite paddler...middle of the bunch. Conditions were choppy with the race comprising upwind, downwind and cross-wind sections. I paddled it only once and hadn't paddled it before the race.

My findings were that it was very well made and light. Although I didn't swim, I found it unstable and had to brace much more than usual, but this had a lot to do with the conditions. On flat water with no wind I was quite comfortable. The stability was very similar to a high end racing K1 and the seating position was similar. Certainly more unstable than a FENN Millenium, which I had paddled before and was always considered unstable by reputation, but was fine for me.

I paddled a FENN Elite straight afterwards and that felt exceedingly stable after the Nelo. My usual boat is a FENN Mako6.

Despite the stability issues I did about the same time as I usually do on the race, so it is fast and I might have got more used to it given more time in the bucket. It felt most comfortable on the short downwind section and accelerated and picked up runs beautifully.

For an Elite paddler or on flat water, it would be very good, but at my level I would need a more consistently stable boat.

Gary

Latest Forum Topics