all cashed up which ski to get?

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6820 by gnome
all cashed up which ski to get? was created by gnome
Was going to get 2nd hand Millenium but decided to go new.
Me
180cm tall (5`11`)
80cm inseam (31.5 inches)
80kg fit 87kg fat on winter(176lbs to 190lbs)
Small skinny arse

Ski will be used 70% flat water and including habours, the rest in the ocean thats more wind swell/chop than good clear swell but not always.
So i can get my hands on the following
Green 7 epoxy 13/14kg (cork maybe)
SES ultra 12kg
Eos 660 15/16kg glass
Think uno glass or Kevlar.

Want to feel more like K1 you know feet lower than bum.
Dont want much of a ridge on seat under bum as it will rip the coxic right off. Broken jagged tail bone from years ago, very sensitive down there.
Speed is number one with good glide
stability after that.
Thanks for any help
Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6823 by thebigadski
UNO UNO UNO UNO!!!

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6824 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Re:all cashed up which ski to get?
Why

More
12 years 11 months ago #6825 by thebigadski
U want a fast ski
U want a K1 feel (seat is higher & the narrowist ski on market)
U want a ski that is good on flatwater & runs

& it looks great!! :woohoo:

Build is great

Ive owned a kevlar UNO, sold it to buy a UNO Max, and now also have a UNO carbon.

I highly rate both skis.

Seat in UNO is slightly different than UNO Max.

U might want to try both!!

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6826 by gnome
Thanks that is the sort of info Im after.
So are they very tippy? How tippy compared to K1's
Paul.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6832 by thebigadski
Well I cant paddle a K1 even if my life depended on it !! :laugh:

More
12 years 11 months ago #6834 by bulldog
Hi Gnome-Looking at your size(height)and weight and the fact that you will paddle the ski on flat water most the time and you want a K1 feel-you may want to try a Carbonology Atom or Vault.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6835 by Dicko
If you can paddle a k1, all of these skis are more stable.
The green 7 is fast and stable and comfortable. The ses is fast and possibly less stable than the green 7 (not as stable as they are made out to be) and they tend to wander downwind. The eos isn't as fast as the green 7 and not as stable. Think make a nice boat and possibly better finished than the green 7. The green 7 is easy to remount. The atom is easily the fastest boat, but is also very tippy and very difficult to remount (if you are older or paddle in really cold water this is an issue).
I paddle in a group that consists of all these craft, bar the uno....I paddle a think legend.
If I had my choice it would be between the green 7 and the uno. If you are young, fit, competitive and the water is warm, try the atom.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Dicko. Reason: grammar

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6837 by gnome
Thanks guys for the info.
So yes the idea of the Atom does sound good, but I am not sure if it would be too close between it and a K1. I couldnt even contemplate using a K1 in rough water, so maybe not the Atom. Unless its quite a bit more stable than the K1 (current style ie Nelo, Aurum)
So the Green 7 13kg versus 13/15kg Uno.
Flatwater speed which is faster, or really no difference.
Then the SES, same as the two above?
Paul

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6838 by gnome
Dont forget I need info on my leg length re the hump and leg contact.
80cm inseam I want free room for nice leg drive. Dont want to contact the hump down the back of my legs
Paul.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6843 by rubberDuck
Hi

I have an Atom (around 12kg), am standing 182cm tall (about 6 feet), weight is between 78 and 81 kg and have size 10 feet (size 11 US). My stability is not good yet, so I am still only playing with the Atom every now and then (actually bought it for my son who is not using it much at the moment, you know how kids never can make up their minds on what they really want to do).

I fit the Atom really well, almost like a glove, although the footwell is narrow, and just accommodates my feet. The stability is around the same as that of an intermediate K1. The Atom is very fast, and paddles really well. BUT, it is a real bitch to remount, so if you want it, go and practice remounting first before going out offshore.

You decide. I would go for the standard Uno if I were you.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6846 by Dicko
The speed difference between the green 7, ses and uno would be minimal. They're all very fast on the flat. The green 7 is a great boat downwind. The yellow boat in Rob's latest video is a red7 pro, which is the same shape but a different layup.
Leg drive won't be an issue cos all boats have adjustable pedals. The green 7 and the Thinks both have very comfortable cockpits.
Either boat will suit your needs.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6847 by Rightarmbad
Uhmm, RubberDuck, I believe that I may be your previously unknown, long, lost son.
Do you think you might see your way to donating an atom for me to use?
I promise I'll use it every day.......

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• gnome
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6849 by gnome
Hi Dicko
About the leg length I saw somewhere that the leg length for the Green7 is between 0.9 and 1.something.
My leg inseam is 80cm from crutch to ground.
So 0.9 is longer than me? Thats why Im not sure. No I cant try one.
Had a go in a Uno today, very nice. Not too tippy,comfy. did feel abit up hill. The nose radius at bottom of tip was just under water.
Will try to have a go in the SES soon.
Any ideas re the inseam leg length. Yes or no to fit properly?
Paul.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6850 by rubberDuck
Haha Darryl, nice try!

Maybe I must send you the Atom with my son included. He is 11 now, so maybe you can send both back in 10 years time? I want him back as a mature and upstanding adult that makes use of the opportunities that he is given. And then I won't have to fight with him to do his homework.

I just can't figure him out. He did 3 races last year in a Horizon without swimming once, 2 times 5km races and one 7km race. He was hot for it, and then one day out he got a nasty offshore wind that came up out of nowhere and struggled to get back to shore.

Gnome, if you are gonna do lots of downwinds then the Green7 is a good bet. The Red7s are very popular here with the downwind nutters. They have a very flat rocker so I suppose that the flat water speed will be good too, except the problems they have with their turning radius because of that flat rocker.

We don't get the Stellars here so I can't comment on them.

For some stupid odd reason we also don't get the Uno's here, even though Sean is paddling one very well.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6851 by Dicko
At 180cm you'll fit perfectly.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6852 by outriggerbev
just a quick note about the ses that hasnt been brought up-Although you wanted the seat higher as in the k1s-the ses seat is not higher at all-thats why it has the feeling of stability-Its actually a great thing for me as I have shaped some foam to achieve a different hight and seating angle and it sets up well for flat water and some offshore-but when its big out the seat pad comes off and the stability is there.I'm 80 kg as well and felt like a cork floating round out there on some of the bigger boats -but the ses seems to be perfect.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6856 by thebigadski
C if u can get into the UNO Max as well...

More
12 years 11 months ago #6858 by TonyB
How much more stable is the uno max compared to the uno?

More
12 years 11 months ago #6885 by Dicko
You don't need a new ski TonyB....and besides there aren't any Thinks in town cos the last container didn't arrive.
Buy an atom if you want to go faster.

Latest Forum Topics