paddle Orka Superflex ??

More
12 years 11 months ago #6673 by marcolivert
Hello guys,

I'm currently using an epic mid wing with soft shaft (90% carbon).

I'm wondering about this orka superflex that seems to become really popular in SA.
Can someone give me his view about it ? Is the shaft not too rigid and how is the shape of the blade ? I plan to use it on flat water as well so to which famous braca model it can be compared for example ?

Marco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6677 by AndrewN
In my experience it's not the best copy of a Jantex Gamma (which is what it's based on). Not sure if it'supposed to be a straight copy but it doesn't seem to "hold" the water nicely.

Having been the route of Braca 4 to Braca 7 to Jantex Gamma M I can recommend the Gamma above all others!

Carbonology Sport from SA make an AWESOME Gamma Shape paddle - if you are in SA let me know and I'll give you details.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6678 by AR_convert
Andrew, I've just recently seen the new Carbonology break down paddles, very nice, I am waiting until I am back to full fitness from a shoulder operation before changing paddles from my trusty "solution" fixed mid wing paddle.

Having also just got a new boat I want to see what this boat can do with the paddle I have had the past few years so I can compare times/speed with my previous ski's. Once I dont think I have a lot of fitness improvement left then I'll be in the market for a new paddle and the Carbonology ones look good to me.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #6694 by Draftbuster
Just a quick question on the carbonology paddles,What is the build quality like compared with the Epic paddles?And has anyone had a paddle with both paddles?Would love a quick comparative review.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6703 by AndrewN
My latest Carbonology paddle was honestly much the same as Epic in terms of quality - maybe 50 grams heavier but definitely stronger by a long way.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6718 by Ryan
Replied by Ryan on topic Re:paddle Orka Superflex ??
Hey Andrew,

I use the Epic mid and the medium flex shaft, I have just taken delivery of my Jantex gamma mid soft shaft. The two blades feel worlds apart in the water. The Jantex feels firmer on the catch and pulls straighter in the water, it will travel down the side of the boat if you let it and you as the paddler have to adjust your style to get the exit fluid. I also find I miss the oval shaft shape of the Epic, What I am getting at is that perhaps you should borrow a paddle and use it if you are looking to change to a blade shaped on the Gamma.

I do percieve though the Jantex are stronger and I will persevere to make the change.

Ryan

More
12 years 11 months ago #6719 by Rightarmbad
From your description above, it sounds like the Jantex is a bigger blade.
You may be comparing apples to oranges. . . . .

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6721 by Ryan
Replied by Ryan on topic Re:paddle Orka Superflex ??
Hi R.A.B

Epic Mid wing blade ; W = 16.4cm, L = 50cm, area = 750 cm square.
www.epickayaks.com/products/paddles/mid-wing

Gamma medium ultralight = W = 16.4cm, L = 490cm, area = 750 cm square.
www.jantex.sk/products/surf-ski/gamma

I am pretty sure it is not a difference in size its a difference in blade shape that I am feeling and it has been confirmed that this is the case by a very good paddler.

It is my experience and I was just trying to get the info to the OP that he should try the blades first as he is following the same path that I have just walked.

Cheerio
Ryan
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Ryan.

Latest Forum Topics