SUP where to start for an all round family board

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
  • Brett McDonald previous forum name :Pilbaralad
More
13 years 7 months ago #5873 by AR_convert
While I'm waiting on a container of boats to arrive so I can get on with choosing my next ski I have turned my attention to researching a stand up paddle board for the family.

As much as I try to encourage my 11 year old daughter to paddle she is attracted by the cool look of SUP and I think it would be good fun for the family too.

Anyone with any experience in this area, what sort of materials should I look for in a board that can take a knock or two from the kids carrying it, banging it with the paddle etc.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5875 by Rightarmbad
Simple, cheap.
The less you spend on an SUP, the more you can spend on your new ski ;)

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• aussie
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #5876 by aussie
A suppier on the gold coast was bringing them in from that country chairman Rudd said we should "'use force against'" at about 50% of the locally produced price.I guess for a non racing board for mum and the kids they would do fine.Hey badboy, you may be surprised how many top ski paddlers ride these things[and outriggers] for cross training.Also I know of one who won a trip to Hawaii racing one :laugh:

More
13 years 7 months ago #5878 by Rightarmbad
He's already got enough cross training to do, this is for the family remember.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #5879 by AR_convert
Thx Aussie, is it a state secret who it is and what the brand of the boat they are bringing in is? ;)

I am in WA so need to source locally.

Best I can find so far is $1100 for a Naish soft board (Foam and plastic construction), they then jump up to 13,14,1700 and more pretty quickly. On the websites over here I dont see one brand sticking out as being 50% cheaper so I dont know if anyone over here has bothered with the chinese imports :dry:

Seems the they are mainly kitesurfing/windsurfing business who just order in the boards from the same manufacturers who do the kiteboard and windsurfer boards.

More
13 years 7 months ago #5881 by Robmobius

• AR_convert
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #5889 by AR_convert
Thanks for the info and PM's on SUP's.

Came across a great deal at BCF (Baoting Camping Fishing store) locally that had a 10ft 6 in SUP with leash and adjustable paddle for $699.

It's not going to win any races but it's perfect for finding out if the 11 year old is going to stick to it or lose interest after a few weeks.

In any case it wont be such a hole in the pocket if left in the shed for the odd beach visit or camping trip by the water.

Latest Forum Topics